Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Potential newbie to Teknetics

minnixb

I'm thinking about purchasing a Teknetics but have never used one before. I've used several Fishers. Since both are made by First Texas, what is the general difference between the Teknetics and Fisher detectors? Does the Fisher F75 operate the same way as the Teknetics equivalent?

The T2 is an excellent detector although the F75 has a few more "bells and whistles". My local dealer says they are pretty much the same depth wise. I was thinking of trading for the F75 but I don't need the extra "bells". Hope this helps, Robert.

You're welcome! I have done pretty good with mine. Found lots more CW bullets in my old spots at good depths, too. Got my oldest LC also,1827, and in excellent shape. Had the upgrade done, too. Good luck with whatever detector you decide on. Robert

Must admit i really do like the T2,very easy to setup basically just seconds then out detecting,rather than spending ages adjusting pushing endless buttons and wasting valuable detrecting time.Its light,has great depth and very versatile,mine is a basic T2 and if i am honest i just dont want to upgrade to super cache modes etc,as the green basic model does everything that i require from a detector on ploughed and rolled land and pasture as well,also very good on roman/saxon trashy sites especially with that superb 5'' coil,that really amazes me how such a small coil can go deeper than most other small coils.

The T2 and the NEL Sharpshooter coil is possibly my favourite all time detector/coil combination.

Mostly just features and ID differences. Dealers can give much better deals on Teknetics. :)

might want to know what types of sites you plan to hunt, and the area of interest you have, such as urban Coin Hunting, Relic Hunting, Beech Hunting, etc., in order to help with answers.

minnixb said:
[size=medium]I'm thinking about purchasing a Teknetics but have never used one before.[/size]
What other makes and models have you used?

How experienced are you with detector controls and general operation, such as knowledge about Ground Balance, if the detector isn't a 'preset' designed circuitry?

Which search modes are you wanting to have and/or use? Some people never use a true, Threshold-based All Metal mode, for example, only relying on the motion-based Discriminate mode.

minnixb said:
[size=medium]I've used several Fishers.[/size]
Older versions or modern designs?

Which models? I ask because maybe you have, or have had, a modern F5 with the screw-on coil connectors and still own one or more screw-on coils and those can work on the Teknetics 'Greek' series [size=small](Alpha, Delta, Gamma and Omega 8000 as well as the soon to be released (I hope) Omega 8500)[/size] as well as the Euro-Tek Pro, G2 and G2+.

minnixb said:
[size=medium]Since both are made by First Texas, what is the general difference between the Teknetics and Fisher detectors? Does the Fisher F75 operate the same way as the Teknetics equivalent? [/size]
There are some similarities between some models, but generally they offer different features and or physical packaging.

As for the F-75, when it was designed they used the Teknetics G2 packaging, but the similarity ends there. They work a bit differently, do not share search coils, have different Discrimination VDI numeric read-outs and, well, they are just different. Personally, I prefer the Tek. T2 to the F75, but I like simple plus performance that seems to be a better 'fit' for Coin Hunting and more serious Relic Hunting types of sites.

My favorite Teknetics model has been [size=small](and today still is)[/size] the Omega 8000, but from what I have read and am anticipating, the coming Omega 8500 will feature more operator adjustments of the audio Volume by Discrimination segment to the operators chosen level, and I am hoping they have also done a bit of work on recovery speed during Discrimination or iron trash to improve the performance for the ghost town searches I prefer to make. I am ready for its release and have my 5" DD coil ready to evaluate in some really dense iron littered locations.

Just let readers know what you're used to, what your like to hunt for, and maybe a hint of that features/functions you are looking for. I'm sure you'll get more assistance and opinions.

Monte

Monte said:
might want to know what types of sites you plan to hunt, and the area of interest you have, such as urban Coin Hunting, Relic Hunting, Beech Hunting, etc., in order to help with answers.

Hey Monte,

"You searching for a particular tree? Beech! :heh:

minnixb, my advice just [ starting out ] would be try the New "Digitek" from Teknetics...

I just completed a very extensive Field Test with this BUDGET machine and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the 'old timer's' don't buy them for under the seat of the pick up...
It's GOOD...

Good Hunting

Des D

Des D said:
Hey Monte,

"You searching for a particular tree? Beech! :heh:
Des, I could happily search for ANY tree that was casting ample shade in the heat we've had! Since June 7th we have had many, many days in the 90° range with 7 of them at 95° or higher. There have been 21 days since then of 100° to our hottest of 111°. They forecast 102° today and 101° tomorrow, the 13th, and according to AccuWeather, that might be the last of the triple digit days for the year.

I am not a beach/water fan, but where I live we have a lake beach with parking ½-mile from my place. It's 96° already at 1:20 in the afternoon so we might even beat their forecast high. One thing I do know for certain ...my favorite season of the year is Fall, and it can't get here soon enough! We have a 5-Day Ghost Town Outing planned for three high-desert ghost towns on September 9th thru 13th and a check of the forecast has highs running from 74° to 76° and overcast to partly overcast for several of those days. I am more than excited!

I wish you were close and could join us on this "Welcome-to-Hunt Outing" which is open to anyone. As of this morning it looks like we now have about 14 or 15 people who have committed to make this trip. We had 17 make it in May with some wonderful results.

As for suggesting the DigiTek to 'minnixb' I think that is not a bad suggestion, depending upon what Fisher models he has used and what features he's looking for. As with some other models FTP has introduced, I think they hit on a nice low-end, entry-level package, especially mating it with a 7" Concentric coil. I am a big fan of smaller-size coils for most of the very trashy sites I hunt and, generally, most folks who start out will end up in parks and picnic areas and other littered places where the smaller coil is definitely to their advantage.

Personally, I am eager to see the release of the Omega 8500, but the more I think about it, there are a few good uses for the DigiTek to be added to even my own arsenal. I have 15 grandchildren, and while the older ones could easily use any mid to upper-end model, the DigiTek could be a nice to have on hand. Plus, it can make a handy 'loaner unit' to help get the OK to hunt private property by inviting the owner to join in the fun. :thumbup:

I sure wish there were more local detector dealers, for any and all brands, but in this case, I encourage every Teknetics Dealer to have at least a few DigiTeks in their inventory.

I hope you've been enjoying more pleasant weather and have had some rewarding experiences afield.

Monte

I am one of the readers to whom Monte referred when he said we might want to know what sites you wanted to hunt. Both Fisher and Teknetics have a large range of detectors from which to choose..I have some of each brand, but not the top of the range in either (too heavy for me). The range of each brand is extensive, and anyone deciding on a particular detector needs to firstly consider what type of hunting they want to do, ie coins and relics, relics only, gold nuggets, or just coins and jewellery. Then they should consider the sites that they are most likely to hunt, eg, modern parks and recreation areas; old (now unused) parks and recreation areas; older sites (woods and fields) which saw activity 100 or so years ago; or beaches (freshwater or saltwater). They probably need to think about whether or not they will travel long distances to detect, or only detect sites that are near to where they live.

Once some of these questions (and answers) are addressed, someone buying a new detector could reflect on their past experience in detecting, and what sort of features they might want with the detector they buy.

Buying a new detector is exciting, and it is easy to get carried away by the hype of the sales people. At this stage it is time to take a deep breath and reflect on some of the things mentioned in this post and others, and also ask ourselves this question. "How much time will I be able to devote to detecting?" Good luck with your decision.