Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Preference 2aPro or Gt

Buz

I have used my modified 2aPro :minelab:for a number of years now, I am thing about upgrading to GT:minelab: would like some thoughts and views form you good people.

Much appreciated

Buzz

What kind of mods have you done on the 2a, what kind of hunting do you do, what mode do you usually use?

Also is there any thing about the 2a that particularly bothers you that the GT might remedy?

I use both, and in some respects there isn't much "upgrade" involved.
In other respects, there is a whole world of difference.

Give us a feel for it.

HH

Hi Art
I have done the meter 180 scale and silent search, I hunt in all metal mode.
I don't like the battery case door on the 2a, I think i would like the straight shaft on the GT and the case looks a lot better. I would probably would like the noise cancel switch for hunting under power lines on one particular beach I can't hunt with the 2a.
In other respects, there a whole lot of difference, please explain:?:

Thanks
Buzz

You got enough questions answered to give it a shot, Buzz.....

The battery setup and the straight stick you will like.
If you intend to use the same meter (XS2 ?) you may or may not have to get inside and give it a tweek.

Viewing angle for the meter is not convenient, but can be fixed a couple ways.

All metal can track or be locked. It is VERY different from the 2a. It shifts tones depending on target conductivity and strength. Tracking is fast.

The grip on the stick is adjustable for position and will give you a good balance.

Noise cancel (band 1/2) helps some in some places, but don't seem to do much good in others. I got the GT for this reason but was dissapointed about the usefulness of the switch.

Disc mode is very little different between the two, as is pinpoint mode.

Getting in the right direction for you yet ?

Art

Yes Art
I appreciate your input, I didn't think there was that much of a difference , just more bell and whistles

Buzz

While some things are more construction related, the real perfomance differences are mostly in all metal mode. Supposed to be more sensitive. Don't know if you would like the all metal response or not.

Yes, bells and whistles. Minelab tried to give most of us just about anything we wanted.

Plenty of hype on the minelab site. Depends on how you want to use it and how important you feel the features are if you really want it or not.

I use disc mode most of the time, and feel there just isn't enough difference to worry about as far as performance goes.

If I could say that there was a 20-30 percent inprovement in depth or target seperation, then I would say to go for it. Just ain't there.

For a "first" Sov it would be a great choice as we don't know what we like or don't like.

Should not mention this, but.........
When I first got the GT, I compared it to my 2a on a fresh buried dime at 10 inches.
The 2a had a 12.5 Detech coil (nobody but me will use), the GT a T-10.
The GT nulled, while the 2a hit with the loose high pitch that anyone would dig.

DON'T run out and get a Detech.........not around power lines!!!!!!

Will shut up, watch it rain, and let somebody else make a pitch.

HH
Art

To me the XS2a was never one for me, just like the original was not for me. The XS, XS2 and now the GT are my favorites as i seem to do better with them. The XS2a had the single tone switch which I felt defeated the purpose of the Sovereign and its tones as this is what is so great about the Sovereigns. I also felt I could do better with the XS and XS2 as far as telling a good coin from trash. Now the GT to me is more sensitive and it did fool me with iron more until I got used to it, now it still does, but not as often. I use the Sun Ray DTI 3 meter on my GT and the viewing angle is great and found that even my deep targets have been reading to correct numbers more than any other Sovereign I have used. I don't know if it is the GT or just the areas I have been. I also notice it more with the GT than the other Sovereign is that the disc goes deeper than all metal as a couple of my targets I could get the tone to change in disc,but in pinpoint I couldn't hear a signal, even in the trac mode in all metal.
I also don't like the silent search myself as I like to know what the threshold is doing as far as nulling, but have seen where some cases where targets are far a few in between it is nice so you don't have to listen to the low growl of iron, so having the switch it turn it on or off is one of the better things Minelab could do.
The straight shaft is great and the battery set up is also one of the best I have seen. I wish Minelab would have put a remote pinpoint switch on it if you are going to pole mount as it would be easier to check out a target. The freq switch is great if 2 Sovereign are close to one another so they don't crosstalk and I have only seen a couple of places where I had to switch from freq 2 to freq 1 because of interference.
All around I like my GT and glad I have one and wouldn't trade mine for any of the other Sovereigns, but that is me and my area I hunt and I am sure some will be different than me.

Rick

Hi Rick
I thought the noise cancel switch was for hunting near power lines, that would be the main reason for buying the GT at this point in time. :twodetecting:

Thanks
Buzz

The freq toggle switch is used for whenever you encounter any interference whether it is from another detector or electrical. It just shifts the freq a little to eliminate the interference. Some you may not be able to either as it is so bad. It seem like most find freq 2 is the best to run in and switch to freq 1 if needed.