Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Preliminary Impressions of the Garrett ATX

Thanks Steve... this is a very favorable report highlighting your overall first impressions which we all appreciate. Looks like a quality instrument with excellent audio nuances and stability. I'm also pleased that Garrett automated the frequency selection. All the very best going forward with the ATX and will look forward to any further information you may wish to share when you have the opportunity to get out nugget hunting with this unit. :thumbup:

Jim.

Another great ATX test video by Bearkat4160 I found -

Buried nuggets test of various sizes in various depths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGaH1ckivwI&feature=c4-overview&list=UU4Bhjuz89LnVu-J5OFWslDg

Jerrym1,

Thank you for all that you've shared. Yours and Steve Herschbach's testing, experiences, and efforts have no doubt erased most concerns that those of us have ordered one - but yet to receive one.

The ATX certainly appears to fit the advance claims for the unit. Add in the unusual ruggedness, compact transport, and performance of this PI unit, and there's little left but to actually wrap my own hands around one. It's weight is pretty much the same as my CTX 3030, and the sling should help if the balance is off..... Few worries there. A much lighter unit than the 5000, and I'm betting that not having to deal with an external battery's umbilical cord (the ML 5000), is a bonus in handling when digging a target.

I wish I knew your source for getting a unit so quickly. Controlling my impatience is the most difficult task now.
Honestly - thanks to you both. Your observations, comparisons and testing has helped the conviction those of us early buyers have for this new detector.

Dave

Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-TERRA 705, and others...... Soon, the ATX!

Hey Dave...

I don't think Jerry has his yet.
He was just posting a link to BearKat's test video.

Jerry will be doing some additional testing in Oz which will be
A great addition to the field testing.

Cheers,

Tye

Hi Dave - dgatley

Thank you for your appreciation. Now I am absolutely sure that my decision to purchase the ATX was the right one that I will not regret. I really like what I see so far. Steve is always very fair and objective in his evaluations and Bearkat's videos are detailed and excellent. Those videos don't lie, that's for sure! Would you believe, I even had a dream about this machine? I wish you don't have to wait too long for you ATX.

Cheers

Jerry

Thanks for putting that up Jerry...almost forgot about that one...loaded those 3 new videos last night.

Bearkat

Hi Bearkat,

Yeah, I wondered about that. Then I thought you must have put it somewhere else and I couldn't find it. So, I posted the link anyway. I thought it was a MUST SEE for anybody seriously interested in buying ATX. Great video Bearkat! Same as all the other ones you have produced. It has almost completed the "picture" of the ATX. Now we know the shallow sub-gram performance, deep nugget performance as well as the machines performance in magnetic iron ground and the automatic tuning capabilities. What else is there I wonder? It looks like Garrett's engineers were really busy!

Cheers

Jerry

Thanks again, Bearkat, for your amazing videos. Garrett owes you big time. The only missing piece left for me are hot rocks. I've encountered some hot rocks in the California gold country that I can't GB out with my TDI SL. They seem to have some conductivity along with the typical magnetic properties. So they seem to act like small, weak pieces of iron. I can weaken the signal by turning my GB down to around 4 - the same method I have seen recommended for eliminating (reducing) nails by coin hunters. Of course, in highly mineralized ground where the ground balances out around 8, this (setting it at 4) then causes a challenge with the ground.
Thanks again for all your efforts. You are very much appreciated!

Ya know I got my first hot rock Saturday and got it on video, the iron check also gave the iron grunt. It was almost pure iron. First one from 7 long hunts...not too bad. Will get video of it online too...

Bearkat,

Apologies, I should have caught that video as linked by Jerry, not as his video. And, Jerry, I may not have dreams about the machine, but I'm certainly lusting after it.

Frankly, I was just stoked to see this machine demonstrated on nuggets - in high-iron type soil, and to be performing so well. Thanks for the whole series.
There are so many subtle items demonstrated in these videos - such as the ease of the GB'ing, the simplicity of just getting started "outa the box", the ease of eliminating EMI, the clean responses demonstrated outside of the target areas..... I know there wasn't really enough of a sampling to fully make that claim, but it sure looks encouraging.

Anyway, like so many following here - I'm thirsting for the chance to swing the machine myself. Yours and Steve's pieces are just fueling that desire till the darn thing gets here.
Thanks!

Dave

Thanks man! I think I'll get some more vids of using the discrimination feature, which to tell the truth, I have not used much as I look for gold mainly...but will give it a go.

Bearkat

Hey thanks Dave... I just enjoy doing the vids for you guys and enjoy detecting! More to come...

I hope so, that is where I found most my nuggets (Klamath corridor) except the Geogia ones.

aluminum you dug in the parks. The parks around my area are loaded with alum. crud. I can't picture myself taking a pulse or iron only discriminator in my parks.
Just gettin too old for all that digging!

I dug one aluminum target. Go back and read the post again. Digging low/high tones only ignores nearly all aluminum. Aluminum produces a high/low tones. The photo shows exactly what was recovered.

I overlooked that, thanks for correcting me. My wife is not going to be happy. This ATX could find a place in my tool box!

For coins the problem is steel/iron, not aluminum. And there is a lot of ferrous stuff out there. More than most VLF users know since most always have it tuned out.

Greetings from SF Bay California!

I received my ATX a few days ago and just finished with the installed batteries.
I've dad the AT Gold for about 2 years now, and wanted a 2nd detector that would handle wet salt sand better , and would go deeper, and have a borrow unit when hunting with friends.

My impressions:
1. I thought it came with the hard case ( it's optional )
2. It's heavy! I haven't used the sling yet, and only use the arm cuff rarely , because I like to set it down when I dig. I haven't had to switch arms yet , but walking long ways to the dig sites, you can tell how heavy it is.
3. The headphone jack hits the soft carry case edge in a bad way when transporting it, ie.. You must disconnect the headphones every time it goes in the bag, I always hunt with the headphones on, and the more in and out the jack goes, the more wear and crap in the connection .
4. This thing goes DEEP! Way more than the at gold.
5. It is kind of a dig all machine, kinda. I've been getting a lot of coins using the low high echo though.
6. I do a lot of low tide mud hunting in the bay, and this machine has no stand or feet, I'm going to make my own because I don't like laying the box in the mud, it just trashes it!
7. Sometimes I have been getting major pro pointer electrical Interfierance, I do the frequency check, then ground bal at each new spot, but turn the pointer on and off each time it comes out of the holster. No sure how to deal with this yet except to lay down the machine down as far as possible from the hole .
8. This thing is so sensitive, it picks up everything all at once, which makes it seem like here is not much there. Then I hit the same spot with the at gold and pull a ton of stuff out very easily!
9. The iron check works good shallow, but I usually forget to use it I till I pull rusty iron.
10. I hit golden gate park yesterday and got a bunch of coins super deep, no silver, but the Machine was awsome quiet and ground balanced great!

I'll be detecting Waikiki every two weeks ( a four hour night sesh) for the next couple months, so I'm looking forward to the wet salt sand and waist deep scooping results. Last year I hit it with the at gold with minimal results.

I need a guard for the coil because I am a bumper and the coils are $!

Dig deep,
Goldholio

I was under the impression that it came with the hard case also, thats disappointing.