Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Price rise on waterproof connectors

JCPinCt

For anyone buying the Brad Harrison waterproof connectors from Mc-Master-Carr, expect to pay higher prices then in the past, they went up somewhat. One connector alone jumped about $7 more. Such is life.

Can you be a bit more specific as to the part. They have over 435,000 items, and there is no Brad Harrison found in the search.

Thanks,
OldeTymer

I was going by the ones that Charles in Upstate NY, (on Detector Gear)used for the Explorer waterproofing jobs. They are The 7209k44, and any of that 7209 type, and the 6897 k68 and simular in that series also. I just paid $90.00 with shipping for 4 of them, or 2 sets, male and female. Going to put a Sov.XS in a waterproof box.

Why don't you just use the Blue Sea Cable Clams shown here?

http://www.onlinemarine.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online_superstore/electrical/blue_sea_cable_clams.htm?E+scstore

That way you don't have to remove the cable plug.

OldeTymer

I would rather be able to change coils and earphones when I want to.

I gotcha, I guess that would be a little easier. With the cable clams, you have to remove 4 screws to change either.

Does that mean you'll have to remove the stock cable connector on each coil, and replace it with the new connector? Would like to see the project when completed.

Good hunting,
OldeTymer

Right, I have to change the connector on the coil cable and earphones also. I will try to get a few pictures up when I finish. Don't plan on doing it right away, as we got snow coming and it ends my water hunting for now.

I know what you mean about the snow. I've been looking at it for four weeks now, and I'm sick of it. That's why I decided to start my waterproof project so it's ready when I can get out.

Definitely put up some pictures when you get a chance, and I'll do the same.

OldeTymer

Write down all original wiring you might change before you do this. The box is done and now it is a waterproof Sov.. It was done in one day. 1st picture is the waterproof plugs/connectors I mentioned. 2nd is the Sov. out of the box and the metal bracket is removed that holds the front panel on.[attachment 47351 s1.JPG][attachment 47352 s2.JPG]The next picture is of the females connectors put into one end of the Pelican 1120 box.[attachment 47353 s6.JPG]the next picture is wiring to back side of original coil plug on the board, I find it easier than taking it off. Make sure you write down the wiring and get it right to the coil connector, with the picture of the connector on coil next.[attachment 47354 s7.JPG][attachment 47355 s5.JPG]Next you have to wire the headphone connector, again be sure you get the wiring right, I just took the wires off the control and spliced into them. Depending on which phones you use, it is best to try a couple different connections for the best setting for your volume control to work right. I used Grey ghost waterproof phones.[attachment 47356 s8.JPG]continued in next post.

Part 2, I taped up the wires into a couple thin harnesses, so they were insulated from any rub or shorts, then I put some plastic on the tinfoil slide on cover that shields the electronics from interference, just a thick doubled up plastic bag taped to it will do, so no shorts happen.[attachment 47357 s9.JPG] Attach the battery plug to board before you put it in, next you lay the board and panel in the case and it will lay in nicely this way. Then I put some foam rubber around things to hold them in place, the battery fits right in too. You could put a little flexible glue on the ends of the foam that touches the box sides to keep it in place.[attachment 47364 s102.JPG][attachment 47358 sov11.JPG] The next picture is the connectors for headphone and coil on the end of box.[attachment 47359 s12.JPG] the last photo is the box and handle which I will put a strap on and hang from my belt on my backside out of the way.[attachment 47360 s13.JPG] It didn't take long, about 3 hours, and cost was about $115 without counting the waterproof headphones. I am going to do my Sunray D11 meter next, and though many people wouldn't bother with it, I like using it. I bought another male coil connector and now I have 2 changeable coils a 7" and a 12". The main thing is to get the right connectors and wire them correctly. Part #s are, for coil use 7209K44 and 6897K48, and for phones use 7209K41 and 6897K38. Pelican box is #1120.

I mentioned I was going to do the meter next. I ordered a case from someone going by Gad-Zooks on Ebay, and it has been a month and I still don't have it, 4 emails to him and no answer either. Don't buy anything from this guy, he may not ship or will take way too long. I will get it somewhere else.

Update. It turns out it is a girl in Vermont. She called me after I put a neg on Ebay. She sent me my money back, as long as I would please take off the neg feedback I had put on. She then said she would send me a box and then I can send payment after I get it. I never got the box and it is after 3 more weeks. She sure doesn't know how to run a business. I am getting it somewhere else.

I didn't use clams as I wanted to make my connections removable, and I change coil sizes. The .61 should work ok if you want to only use one coil size and wired in phones.