Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Priceless find in clad filled park

Ed Steinhoff

Winter has finally given up and the ground is diggable, life is good!!
Only the second hunt of the year but made a "find" of inestimable value!
I was hunting a small out of the way strip park on the side of town that doesn't make the home show tour and hit a mother load of clad with a large percentage of quarters and dimes.
That usually means it hasn't been hunted to hard if at all. Found 74 total coins all clad so no point in posting pics of that (rational excuse for my inability to upload pics)
The real valuable treasure came along in the form of a gracious gentlemen of a spry 82 years that lived across the street from the park.
After the usual "find any thing good"? what is the best thing you've found? and "I used to have one of those, but it was a cheap radio shack one and it didn't work very good so I got rid of it"
The usual warm up chit chat that I'm sure you have all heard 100 times, we started getting down to it. We have all been advised to talk to the older members of our communities about
where things used to be, but this fellow began to volunteer reams of info about local old spots that would be good hunting,
Like 4 old falling down warehouse looking buildings were originally built for a WW2 German prisoner of war camp (and I just happen to know the fellow that owns them now)
How down on the old "lovers lane" under a big old willow tree, when he was 10 years old, there was shack where an old man lived, (shack is long gone, tree still there).
Seems this old man would get his kicks by throwing hand fulls of change in the yard around his shack for the local boys to scramble around hunting for!! "Bet there is still some there" he said wistfully!
Final story is the exact location of an an Indian wars battlefield site where as a teenager he found arrowheads, cartridge cases, broken gun parts, and buttons!!
This spot is 4 miles from my house, I drive by it regularly and you wouldn't know anything is there but sagebrush!!
This treasure trove of info even came back again with hand drawn maps to these and other old spots! A couple of times he said "I ought to get me one of those things and learn how to use it.
What he doesn't know is tomorrow morning my backup detector (pioneer 505) will be in the pickup with me and all the other gear and when i pull into his yard his learning curve will begin!!
HH Ed in co.

Great story,sounds you met the right guy....hope the it all pans out ....good luck.... i met an arrowhead picker in a field one day who advised me where the homes had been long long ago.. thats when my large cent collection really grew fast..he was right...

This is just Outstanding! :surprised::clapping: What a great write up of a truly Once in a Lifetime find! An unexpected Friendship!

That conversation really tells us more about you than anything else...You took the time to listen to an old man's rememberances instead of brushing him off......I bet He's the last living person who ever knew that old man who lived under the willow...Let us know how your hunt goes..This old guys memories will now live on in You..:please:.
Mud.

Priceless information and a new friendship. Someday you may want to re-visit with this gentleman and see what else may be hiding in his grey matter. Sounds like a walking dictionary of long forgotten places! Good luck to you and of course, keep us posted of your progress :cheers:

That's a really cool story and congratulations on the future hunt locations. It is always nice to get a nugget of info that can lead you to a good site. Hope you do well on these sites and looking forward to your posts. Nice clad haul.

He made Your day AND you made His day---bet he loved remembering things that hadn't crossed his mind in years. Please keep us posted.

You hit the Jackpot. A treasure Trove of information and a New Friend. Hope he is able to do a little detecting with you.

Way to go! Get the old boy our for some exercise and fun. Never know he may put you on a very profitable hot! Now where do I find a walking talking map like that around Charleston?

HH Matt

"Paying it Forward" has never done me wrong. And when it has, Would love to see his face when you show up. Best of Luck. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

Great story! I don't like brushing people off when they ask me a question or 2 and it's only when they start into a very long discussion (usually one sided)! about mundane stuff that I politely start walking away and make it known that I need to leave. It can get irritating at that point but again, I don't pretend not to hear them or be real ignorant like some people can be. You never know what good can come out of a conversation to both your advantage and giving some pleasure to the other person for giving them some time! Beside's, it's good P.R. for the hobby as well:thumbup:

May God Bless you for your humanity ...Your about to make an Old man one very happy person....

As stated earlier in a little different way " Your" Simply Awesome !!! ..

Great story. It's part of what makes this a great hobby. While knocking on doors a few days ago I encountered a similar situation. I'm the president of a local metal detector club and with my vice president we were out looking for places for a club hunt. I should mention that the VP is female and I think many people feel more comfortable when being approached by a woman. Owner meets us at the back door and says come on in. We go in and sit down in the living room with her and her husband. He says he's lived there since he was 7 years old. He's now 83. Gave us some great stories about an old orchard with some of the original building foundation still there and a bunch of other great tips. They say the'll think about the club hunt and write out their name, address and phone number and tell us to give them a call. I'm hoping they say yes. The house was built in 1783 and sits on 80 acres. There is a lot to learn from our older citizens. Shame our youth doesn't appreciate it.

That's most excellent, the kind of information you'll never find in a book and will soon be lost forever.

HH,
Brian

Easily one of the best story's I've read on any forum, period! Please let us know how you made out. The suspense is killing me.