Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Private Home Hunt with Apex

RLOH

I am not a "door knocker" so I am a public place hunter. My nephew just bought a late 1800's house and he gave me the go ahead to detect it before he gets it fixed up. There is a round about driveway and I started on the side closest to the main entrance. Clad coins were showing up every three or four feet. I found over twenty quarters and dimes in the first half hour and was wondering where the wheats and silvers were hiding.

I have not had much success digging nickels with the Apex and I quickly figured out why. I was digging mid 50's and they were not nickels. I got a tight 51-52 and saw a nickel from about 5 inches. When I rubbed it, it was a Buff with a date(1937). I dug four more with similar numbers and was very pleased with how accurate the Apex is on nickels. Most of the clad was 4 inches or less. I got a deeper 76 number and dug a 1920 wheat. Next signal about four foot away, I got an 82 and was hoping for silver and sure enough, a 1949 roosie. The Apex hit it hard and accurate. It was six inches deep. I found two more wheats and had to quit for an appointment. It sure was nice to find coins at such a high rate when most of my park detecting makes me work hard for 8 to 10 coins in a couple of hours. I have barely scratched the surface at my nephew's house, but one thing for sure, the Apex is a highly capable coin detector. My detecting is for coins and jewelry and for this type of detecting, the Apex excels.

Dont ya just love it when a plan comes together? I would be giddy if I started finding that much in one area..... good job!

I used to knock on doors but only occasionally. I had other ways of getting people to approach me and then get the OK to work their property. It's always great to get onto a property like you now have, and I wish you continued success on re-visits. You left me wondering if your '37 Buffalo Nickel happened to be a 3-Legged 'D' variety? Probably not, but any Buffalo with a visible date make a good find.

I have to agree with you about the Garrett Apex and ability as a Coin & Jewelry Hunting unit. I really enjoy both of mine. One is in my vehicle as part of my 'Daily-Use Team' and the other is on my den wall just waiting for Garrett to bring out a smaller-size coil for us. Keep enjoying he Ape, and also keep us posted on your next trips to your nephew's place.

Monte

I will sometimes knock on a door if a house is slated to be torn down, otherwise, there are enough parks, schools and woods around here to keep me going for a long time. I just love when you discover something new that works on your metal detecting. It's part of the learning curve. My nickels tend to also read at 50-51. Got to love It! My snow hunting season should start soon. I go all year round.