Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pro 5900 finds 10k baby gold ring at 4"

jimbea

Took a quick trip to a small park in town today, and found a very small 10k babies ring. Dug seven pennies also. The ring rung-up as a zinc penny.

scott

jimbea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Took a quick trip to a small park in town today,
> and found a very small 10k babies ring. Dug seven
> pennies also. The ring rung-up as a zinc penny.
>
> scott

Nice find Scott. My guess as to the Zinc Penny reading was due to the ring being 10k as opposed to 14k or higher. You got the signal from the alloy in the ring rather than the gold. I know that my 18k rings don't read as high as my 14k rings do. Perhaps someone can correct me if I have this wrong.

OldeTymer

Great find jimbea. Way to go.

Hunt4Fun

The 5900, in my opinion, is one of the very best machines in my opinion I sold mine about two years ago and wish I had it back the day after I let it go to a friend.

If not for the new 2006 detectors I would buy one but need to give the new ones a try.

Great find Scott, what coil were you using? Hopefully one of these day's I will score a ring. I dig a lot of tabs!

Unless there was something else nearby causing the high reading more than likely it is gold filled or heavy gold plate. Those are the only 2 reasons I can think of that a ring that small would come in as zinc.

As a rule of thumb alloyed metals read lower than either of the metals in the alloy would read by themselves. This is true of all gold jewelry.

Tom

Thanks for setting me straight. Makes sense. I thought it was the other way around. Now if I could only get out to find some. Going to be in the deep freeze all week.

OldeTymer