Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Problem maybe with my Magellan Explorist 110

Smigo

Hello everyone. I recently got an Explorist 110 and cant get to, or it doesn't work, any sense out of the compass feature in it. North will sometimes be actually pointing west, or south, then it will move slightly and stop but still not in the right direction. This happens even when it shows excellent sat coverage. To be honest it seems useless. All else works good except the compass. Im about to send it back but before I do I was wondering if there is anything I should do or if it is just a lame feature that others have seen as well with this unit?

I'm not really familiar with that particular unit, but it sounds like it requires some movement
to get a true compass bearing. My old Magellan Meridian "yellow" is that way. They made a
later three axis version Meridian that does not require movement.
Anyway, with mine you need some steady movement, likely best in a straight line, and then
the true bearing should kick in.
This is my guess anyway.. It's likely OK, just a quirk of a "2 axis" compass feature. Like I say,
mine is the same way. But it's pretty accurate once moving.
See if the manual says anything about that.

edit.. BTW, it does not take a high speed for it to kick in. Walking speed is plenty, and maybe
even slower than that will work OK. Just as long as it's moving a bit. You don't have to be at
driving speed.. that would be useless in the woods. :angry:

NM5K is right.
Basically, Explorist 110 does not have a magnetic compass. Most low end GPS receivers do not have such and the compass rose that you see is only accurate while moving.
Some older higher end units have a build in 2 axes magnetic compass. These work while standing still but require the unit to be held perfectly level to get reasonable compass accuracy.
Newer receivers usually use a 3 axes compass and this allows the init to be tilted while still giving a good reading.

HTH
Andrew