Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Problem with Quattro LCD Display

A

Anonymous

Was using my Quattro a couple days ago, and after about 45 minutes, the LCD display became very dark and difficult to read. It also had several vertical "stripes" in it. My first thought was that the batteries were getting low, but the battery indicator said they were fine. Since it was pretty warm that day (about 90F), my second thought was that the MD was overheated. I turned it off for about an hour, and then turned it back on and it was OK again. I have turned it on a couple of times since, but never for more than 15 minutes or so, but it's been fine. Anybody had occurrences of this? I hate the thought of having to send it into Minelab as I just got it and I'm hooked on it and would hate to be without it.

It does sound like a heat issue. I've used mine in extreme cold and moderate heat without any problem, but not in the 90's. Though I would think it should be able to. Do you have a housing cover for yours? If not, maybe try that because it may help to shield the LCD from the heat a bit. Or it may make it worse, who knows? If you have one, take it off.

I would use it for extended periods and see if you can duplicate it. If it's bad, it's bad and will have to go back. You may as well find out now and get it over with.

I also feel it is the heat or sun hitting the screen so the LCD is over heating causing it to get dark. When this happens there is a adjustment in the menu to adjust the screen contrast lower when it gets too dark just as a person can adjust it when the screen gets too light. Next time this happens just adjust the contrast of the screen.

I have seen this with many different detectors over the years that uses LCD screens when real hot or the sun hitting the LCD screen.

Rick

I do have a housing cover for it. I think it was just getting too hot since I was out in the bright sun and it was pretty hot. I ran it this morning for about 4 hours with no sun and a cooler temperature (about 75F), and it worked fine. Thanks, Mike and Rick, for the feedback.

BTW, I got the Quattro about five weeks ago (my first MD), and this morning I found my first wheat penny! :jump:

First wheatie...all right! Use that same technique to find your first silver and another first will be achieved. Then the hits will keep coming pretty steady. Soon you'll be breaking into the 1800's, which is a real thrill. Keep swinging!

Hello Nasty Joe and Rick,

Was hunting with a buddy today both of us using Explorers, My unit turned dark this afternoon hunting under the sun and before I could adjust the screen contrast "waited too long" couldn't make out what the screen said to adjust the contrast.

Learned a lesson today, Don't wait too long and start to adjust the contrast right away before it's too late. Still, even with a pitch black screen, got me a 1896S barber dime :)

HH, Paul (Ca)

Hello Mike,

Today, My Explorer screen turned black even using the meter cover, Maybe yhou're right and the cover sealed in the heat? Then again we have hot weather here in California :(

Maybe future Minelabs will have a built in miniature fan like our laptops do :)

HH, Paul (Ca)

When you set it down to dig try aligning it so it does not face directly into the sun. It gets pretty hot here and I would sometimes hunt with my back to the sun and then make the extra effort not to set it down directly facing ther sun. Generally I don't hunt when it is too hot anymore.Good Luck!:)
Chuck