Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Program help on Etrex Venture & Cordinate Interpretations

grumpy

Morning Folks;
We bought a Garmin Etrex Venture HC to take with us and navigate in southern AZ prospecting and nugget hunting;
The problems we have are first we got the topo US 100K program and it is totally worthless and way to dificult to operate with or in or however you would word that. The screens on the computer even are about useless; Is there a good program that one can install on the computer and download into the GPS unit that is user friendly and more detailed; preferabllly one that is a internet download????
Second it comes to my memory there are two types of cordinates #s that one can run into??? I seem to remember having some cordinates for a location and using google earth to find it from my gps cordinates put me in a different place and was told one used one type and the other used another type system? Was I dreaming or is this fact and can someone explain??
Sorry for being so computer challenged but the wife is pretty good with computer stuff and this is driving us both crazy we would appreciate any references or anything to get our $ worth out of this gps .
Thanks very much for the help
Grumpy

There are more than 2 co-ordinate systems. It's too much to explain here so... go to www.gpsnuts.com and read the basics.

eTrex can not be loaded with other "programs". You can find other maps for it but they have to be compatible with the Garmin MapSource and your receiver so, better learn how to use it. For US, you can buy more detailed topos from Garmin.

HTH

I think maybe my question was not stated correct; What were wanting to find is a more detailed map to use in conjunction with the etrax. The topo us 100k seems to be very poor quality details?? Is such avaliable?

We will go to the other page and learn about the more details of operation also; thanks;
Thanks
Grumpy

Are you looking for printed maps or maps that you can load to your receiver? In any case, both types are available with much more detail and accuracy than 1:100.000 scale maps.
For computer images, just do a search for USGS 1:24,000 topographic quads - you should be able to find them free on the net or you can buy printed versions of these. They are very decent and detailed.

Yes we are looking for ones to download into the garmin. Is this something we can find on the in net and download to the computer and install into the garmin?
Also Thanks You very much for all the help, sorry we are so unfamilur with this gadget we will learn.
Grumpy

Try this

http://www.easygps.com/download.asp

Might help