Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Proper footwear for water hunting

hibby

I certainly appreciate all of your help on this - first I wanted to know what scoop to get and you helped me out (RTG 6" MONSTER STAINLESS STEEL WATER SCOOP)
Then I wanted to know about find pouches and I got one from Kellyco
Then a wetsuit - Farmer John is on it's way

Now I need to know what's the best footwear to get? Do you get beach/pool mesh shoes? Flip Flops? What's best if you're gonna be uing some force with your scoop?

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Chris

I wear high-top dive booties with a hard bottom.

Lots of considerations for footwear. Sand in your shoes makes walking painful in short order. Wetsuit booties solve this, but the soles generally aren't very substantial. While hunting recently in thigh deep surf while wearing booties, I pushed the scoop into the sand and ran a 10" rusted, jagged piece of crab pot right throught a scoop hole, throught the bootie sole and between my toes, sticking 5" out the top of the bootie. To make matters worse, the metal was also caught in the scoop. In the heavy surf, effectively stapled to the scoop, I had to lay down and drag me, scoop and Sand Shark back up onto dry sand in order to extricate myself without filleting my foot. (I know, I know, if I'da been using a Minelab I woudn't have been digging iron in the first place :surrender:) Anyway, I'm also still searching for the perfect footwear.

I wear something like this. They have a good sole and they dry quickly. I hate dive booties, speaking as a fisherman and a detectorist. We have sting rays and oyster shells (like razors) here in Florida so I wear something a little more substantial that will drain and dry quickly out of the water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-Teva-Mens-Rodium-Water-Shoes-Blue-Size-9-sweet-NR_W0QQitemZ140225952526QQihZ004QQcategoryZ87089QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

or

http://www.shoemall.com/product/Columbia-Mens-Aquatooth-Water-Shoe-Adobe-619630/

I went to a dive shop here in Myrtle Beach and found boots.The ones I bought are the mid height and hard bottom. I have a wide foot so had a harder time finding them even though they are made of neoprene and stretch.I think I paid about $70.00 for mine but you can get them a lot cheaper.The neoprene also keeps your feet warmer in cool water. You can buy online or I noticed Ebay has quite a few listed.

Those look pretty cool. I may have to check out a pair myself. Do you wade in the surf with them? If so, how much sand do you get in? That's the one reason I like the high-tops. They get a little sand in them too, but not nearly as bad as regular shoes typically do.

Here's the booties I wear. They have a hard bottom like a shoe...

http://www.diversdirect.com/items/Tusa-Zippered-High-Top-Dive-Boot_ID42032

I WOULD RECOMMEND HIGH TOP HARD BOTTOM DIVE BOOTS. A HARD BOTTOM BOOT IS A MUST. THE HIGH TOP KEEPS OUT MOST SAND,SHELL PIECES, AND PEBBLES OUT OF YOUR BOOTS. IT'S A PAIN TO HAVE TO STOP HUNTING TO EMPTY THESE THINGS OUT AND WASTE A LOT OF TIME.

I just use booties for diving like others with a semi hard bottom. They keep my feet warm and work great in Michigan's cold lakes. Mine are almnost like the ones listed above, the Tulsa's.

I would recomend getting any that you like online. You will save a lot of money. Be prepared top pay double online prices at local scuba shops.

I just picked up a pair of these from Boaters World.. I wanted to try something different.. Their are Neoprene with a Semi rigid sole.. they also hug your ankle so not to allow much sand.. $19.99

I also have dive booties but when the surf gets a little rough and you find yourself hitting the sandy beaches For some reason I feel like a
Postman on a Break walking the beach..:rolleyes:

I was also amazed at the Quality & Quantity of different styles of Beach & water footwear at BW.. Pretty nice stuff..

Here is what I use, they keep the sand out very well, and have a hard bottom. Got mine at local dive shop on sale for $ 39.95. I found with tennis shoe types, that you have to stop and clean them out on a long hunt of more than 3 hrs. if you are in the surf. Even dry sand will get in the tennis shoe type. My booties are over one year old and many hours. Now I must admit I have a very funny looking tan line, looks like I have socks on all the time. Good luck in your choice. HH
http://www.allthingsscuba.com/Mares/Boots/Trilastic_Boot_5mm.html

First, sand is not an issue nor is broken shells getting into your boots, not in your location. The little debris that can get in is controlled buy placing your suit leg over the boot top. PaPa-Joe, posted a fine pair of boots most important thing about them is the heel. A heel gives you a better posture and takes the strain off your calves. That equals to more time and distance in water and that = to more Gold!
The boots posted are the ones I currently use, very good room in toe box but, tight around ankle
. .

Leave the flip-flops and Speedos home hibby, you can get beat-up wearing them:rofl:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_983/Context_980/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/SSTBST.html?Hit=1

Yes, wet boots are the way to go, but, I got as tell ya, I got some at a local dive shop for only $35-$40. I've had them for a couple of years now & they still work good. They are not for 32 degree weather, but they work for me.

Check you commercial dive shops. They carry good stuff for less money than the recreational dive shops. Most of their stuff is neutral in color, (Black, Blue, etc) where the recreational dive shops have all the bright colors, fancy names, etc for a lot more money.

Check it out, you'll see. HH

I ended up ordering a pair of Mares Trilastic 5mm Dive Boot w/Molded Sole

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/412612

Hope they work out ok
Thanks for everyone's input

[attachment 88489 Z2_Mens_Black_Unaweep.jpg]
A thick Vibram sole and a strap that adjusts as tight as you want it. They drain easily and dry quickly. Any sand that gets between the sole of your foot and the sandal is easy to remove with a flick of your foot in the water. They work great for fanning out a hole with your foot, give you great support (I've worn mine hiking with a 30 lb. pack) and they won't rub you raw. You can wear them to a beach bar after you dump your hunting gear in your vehicle, then enjoy a cold cerveza while you check out your loot.

It doesn't get much kewler than that,

BDA:cool:

I use the Hydroskin Sock and the Cross-4 Wetshoe and I love them. They also have a nice line lof other water hunting apparel items. I also have one of their drysuits (get one with a relief zipper, unless you want to pee in it) and Hydroskin gloves too. The stitching came undone on the gloves a couple of times now, but I just send them in and get a brand new pair, under warranty! I like it!

[quote Gulf Hunter]I use the Hydroskin Sock and the Cross-4 Wetshoe and I love them. They also have a nice line lof other water hunting apparel items. I also have one of their drysuits (get one with a relief zipper, unless you want to pee in it) and Hydroskin gloves too. The stitching came undone on the gloves a couple of times now, but I just send them in and get a brand new pair, under warranty! I like it![/quote]

GH: You are the king of warranty.:please::lol: Manufacturers have to factor in for boys who are hard on their toys, you're probably the poster boy for the warranty department. Have you ever considered taking a job with Timex doing the Timex Torture Test?

Kewl Brother,

BDA:cool:

I hear bda, I DO love my warranties. When a company stands behind their products and it WILL stand up to my use, then they are the ones I want to deal with. I DO take great care of my equipment, but I USE IT TOO! I l LIKE WARRANTY!

G'day GH,

I'm not familiar with the Hydroskin sock nor the Cross 4 wetshoe.
I use the typical hi-top dive bootie with a hard sole and when it starts to get cold, like about now here in Victoria, I put on a pair of 3mm soft sole dive booties under them.
In the depths of winter you still could'nt get out after a few hours of work and claim to have warm feet but at least your not in agony!
That comfort zipper on the drysuit is a great idea. No-one appears to have thought of them back when I got mine some 8 yrs or so ago. Will look into having one fitted.
Then again, I'll probably stick with the 9mm Picasso jacket and longjohn and just let her rip when the need arises lol.

Cheers... Lou.