Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

property markers

This is what I posted in response to another forum member. If it's just for your own monuments, then this doesn't apply.

Don't mean to put a damper on this, but as a Registered Land Surveyor, I would advise you to be careful about finding property monuments for friends or someone else. I have seen a lot of costly errors by property owners thinking they found the correct monuments and built fences, sheds etc., on their neighbors property. You might find a piece of pipe or rebar, but without having a plat or a surveyor's certificate of the property and an accurate way of measuring between the monuments, you are just guessing that you found the actual monument. How do you think your friend would feel if the iron you found and that he based his improvements on was not the property monument and it ended up costing him hundreds or thousands of dollars to correct? Plus, it would cost him the original survey expense.

don't use the deus but recently some for a friend with the t-2. if the deus has multiple tones set it where iron will give a separate tone from other metals and you should be able to find them. good luck.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question as i am from across the pond but what are property markers,are they some form of boundry peg or something hammered into the ground.Probably wrong but never afraid to ask :unsure:

Monuments (Property markers) are set at the location of boundary corners of lots or parcels of land. Eastern US property was originally described by metes and bounds (e.g.- from oak tree 200 rods to granite boulder), while western US property was surveyed by using the Public Land Survey System (PLSS), which is the Section-Township-Range system with townships consisting of 36 sections of land each section being 1 mile by 1 mile. Monuments can be different objects, but usually are ferrous metal pipe or rebar. If it was set recently, it also should have a plastic or aluminum cap on top of the pipe or rebar with the surveyor's registration number and the company name. Hope I didn't ramble on too much!

newuser said:
How would you set the Deus up for searching strictly for property markers.

Stick a piece of re-bar in the ground and check the id numbers in the frequency that you are using and then notch everything within about 5 of that number. It will be in the low end of id numbers, I found one last week by sound only and it was in the iron range so it had to be below #10 id.