Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

prospecting mode for woods relic hunting?

has anyone used this mode for this type hunting? i am hunting woods littered with rusty cans that are over half disintegrated. they are here and there, buried or half exposed. these are old old cans. in relic mode iron grunt it hits on them. there are good targets among them i have posted but its hard hunting. will prospector mode do any better showing me iron % or will relic be the best? i live in Georgia mid state and have had no reason before to use prospecting mode, not natural gold here.

I know many people who have a one-track opinion of "Relic Hunting," and that is setting out to find-it-all, ferrous and non-ferrous. To them, it just means "dig-it-all" so using the All Metal [size=small](Prospecting)[/size] mode or an MX5, M6 or MXT/MXT Pro at Zero Disc. will accomplish that task. Those models have a true Zero Discrimination capability for all metal acceptance.

For many others, "Relic Hunting" is primarily searching any older-use site for any more desirable targets, such as coin, trade tokens, buttons, uniform decorations, jewelry items, or just any neat old artifact .... but NOT really out to find ferrous or non-ferrous 'junk.' That would include things like iron nails, rusty tin cans, etc. While there are times and places where I do look for any metal, the bulk of the time I "Relic Hunt" for things I want and deal with iron discards.

The MXT All-Pro [size=small](same as the MXT Pro as it is just a matter of stock coils making the difference)[/size] is my #1 all-purpose detector. Most of the time, like about 95%, when working urban places or hunting old towns, homesteads or any other "Relic Hunting" type of location, I search in Relic mode. I never use more Discrimination than just enough o reject iron nails, and often I search at Zero Disc. I also rely on both the VDI read-out and Iron ID audio.

Naturally, we can not always rely on hearing an 'Iron' tone or expect all magnetic ferrous based targets to produce a nice and proper Iron display. I am especially referring to things like rusty tin! I do rely on 'skill' [size=small](using functional search techniques I've employed and taught for about 35 years now)[/size] and a wee bit of 'best guess' [size=small](which also comes from experience)[/size] when hunting iron infested sites. I also use a smaller-than-stock coil, relying most of the time on White's 6

thanks Monte. Paul-(old California) agreed also. the Relic mode it is. in these particular woods knowing the iron is there is a plus to find the "Site" and then going to knock out some small nails. i have seen glass fragments that made me lick my lips --Hutchinson blob top pieces, and feather edge china.. so a big iron can pile may have some good bottles too. i am starting to like the 6 x 10 in relic mode anyhow. slowing down sweep seems to help separate targets it seems. learning still never too old to do so. was curious on the prospecting. there is some good sand virtually target free now, i gridded it several times, so i have a test area and will bury some things and find out! thanks Carey

I use the relic mode for coin hunting-not shure but relic mode seems to have quicker response- There's no native gold where i hunt BUT often use the prospecting mode(it's just a flip of a switch) to check unusual targets (% probability of iron) any thing 60% and under is dug