Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pulse and Excal

RC

For last ten 15 years been running A PI MACHINE BY ANCHOR ELECTRONICS A BARRACUDA. IT BITES VERY DEEP . NEVER USED AN EXCAL BUT THINKING OF BUYING ONE. (sorry bout caps button now unstuck)

I have pulled a half reale 1620-1630 out of 24 inches of sand in 30fr of water. With PI they go deep but you end up digging everything. What is the best depth for a find with a excal. I was about to pull the trigger on a excal then prices jumped to 1899. I consider that overpriced even being a minelab. My Cuda cost me 2000 and it was a custom job tuned to gold end./ I am also looking at Garrett Infinium as another PI to replace the Cuda which is getting old. At 1499 I can justify the expensea at 1899 for a VLF not so much.

Thoughts and recommendations

I use excals and PI's they make a natural combination.

The older Excals with mods i.e. bigger coils and better headphones are reasonable price alternatives to a new one.

If you want to dive with it a stock configured excal would be preferable but you still have to keep up with maintenance, O-rings and pressure checked.

Tough to beat your depth achievements.

I use a White's TDI and Detector Pro Pulse detectors.

I have numerous excals with different coils. Large coils give greater depth but for diving the stock coils would probably be the easiest to handle.

That is quite a stable of detectors. On Spanish silver the cuda could not be beat. On regular modern coins with silver it was not so great. But gold...oh yes gold. When it sounded off it was like hearing the words Gooolllld being softly whispered..lol How do you find the White PI and what sort of quirks do they have and depth. I amused to digging everything

I am still seeing the Manufacturers Minimum advertised price on the Excal II as $1499. You can certainly do better by talking to dealers (plural). You talk about it being VLF while it is BBS which is multi frequency.

Most of the beaches I detect I would never work with a PI machine. Too many bobby pins and other trash. I would be worn out after a couple hours.

The Florida Treasure coast beaches are hit by a lot of serious detectorists with serious machines. Most of the time there are zero targets due to sanded in conditions or every thing gets dug and removed. Than you use a PI or a GPX just to get a target. You watch beach conditions carefully hoping for a cut.

Than we have a storm come thru like now. If there is beach erosion you get an Excal with the biggest coil and a pinpoint mod and a fresh pair of legs because you will be competing with hundreds of others to search and dig selectively because there will be a lot of storm damage nails, screws and other debris.

The window of opportunity won't stay open for long. The beach will soon refill in. Oh and have a good scoop.

ROBOCOP

I rescued a lot of them when their previous owners had to have a CTX 3030. I could probably sell a few of them back at a nice profit margin.

They're like money in the bank when it's detector season (wintertime) in Florida or hurricane season (like now).

ROBOCOP

Hes correct the Xcal is a VLF as well as being a multi freq BBS. You know they stopped making the Finny? Are located outside the US? Most of the time you can get a great used blue in the $800 and a new one for around $1200. If you are diving..... or even snorkeling id recommend staying factory. The phones arent great but not many out there will hold up to constant dunking. Targets get fewer out there 30', personally id stick with the PI out there it just handles the heavier salt and NO VLFs going to get you that kind of depth because of the signal processing required.

I hear ya. I dig everything and deep. But as many pop tops and bobby pins I find I have recovered quite a number of good Spanish coins and some interesting artifacts. I dont mind the digging everything. I need to get a new machine. Does BBS send its signals down in a cylinder like a pulse or is it like a coin like VLF. Given there are 17 frequencies on a minelab, are the frequencies all going down the same depth or are they all different depth. I am in Canada, and the largest dealer in Excal has a price of 1899 . Cdn plus tax. To everyone who has sent me their opinion, I thank you Eh! lol

No....... the harmonics have a 1.5 difference...... lower harmonics do well in dirt while higher ones arent as effected by EMI as much. The machine selects the better 3..... and i believe one of those are used for GB. Pulse uses square waves....not as affected by mineralization.