Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Pushing the package

steve in so la

From my 35 years detecting
experience it seems like the difference between the successful detectorist and the not so successful one is experimentation . After all these years swinging I am still experimenting with things surrounding our hobby.
Things to consider :
A. What techniques will you use to get closer to the metal things that are hiding the
targets ?
B. In popular sites, what areas do others pass up frequently - & do you do them ?
C. How wide & close to the ground is your sweep ? Every inch above ground is an inch
farther away from the target.
D. What about the areas that don't look like they should hold targets - but years ago
did & still do ?
E. Do you keep a log book of good sites so you can go back 1-2 years later when you are
a better detectorist ? or even 20-30 years later ?
F. Have you really learned your machine's usefullness ? Stick with one and learn it.
G. "Outside the box" as they say - do you not do what others say but do what your
intuition tells you to do ? Coins & gold are wherever you find them.
H. Do you "expect" to find silver, gold or relics when you go out ? A positive attitude has
a lot to do with it .
I. Do you research places before going to them - be it out of town trips or around town
tot lots ? If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
J. Do you challenge yourself or your companions ? I usually go alone but am always
pushing myself to beat my records. No one else is going to push you to do better.
K. Making collections & displays is a great way to encourage yourself to get back out
digging . Plus you have the confidence from digging all those things. And friends can
see just what you do - not just digging pennies.
L. Be open to different kinds of finds/digs. Not just silver coins or gold but the occasional
old bottle, tokens, relics - whatever opens for you. Sometimes a trip is saved by
finding things you did not set out to find.
M. Do you take the trouble to climb under things to detect - be it an old porch, a tot lot
structure, a low hanging branch ?

Maybe take advantage of this summer's inactivity to do some research - be it books, maps or just driving around looking.
Best of luck to all, Steve in so la

Good advice Steve! I have done most of what you've suggested--The only thing that stopped me from visiting & hunting farther distances & far away places than my home was because of being a female & then an older one at that after divorced--my finances also prevented me from travelling very far & again being alone & as a woman it was a cautious thing to remember & do, as the times became more dangerous for anyone out detecting by themselves; especially women without husbands or someone travelling with them (us-me)! SAD & now even more dangerous in the world as it is today since I had to quit detecting because of health reasons & again finances!

Water hunting was also out for me being so short & weak, I lived far from beaches & handling deep water & a heavy sand scoop I just could not do! BUT--Let me say this I really enjoyed the hunts & my finds during the years I could get outdoors in God's country & spend time hunting, praying, talking to & thinking my Lord Jesus Christ for the good times & the goodies I found & would do it again IF I COULD! God Bless & GO FOR THE GOLD--AS you said, It is right where you find it & many times we are led right to it!! Thank You, God Jehovah! Amen! Ma

I appreciate posts like these brother. Even though you wont be posting finds much anymore, others can certainly learn by your wisdom. I certainly have learned from you and many of the things you mentioned I do. Thank you

Thanks for taking the time to write this post Steve. Nice to have a refresher. Entering year 51 and enjoy the hobby more than ever . However the body is falling apart and that does take some joy out of the digs and swishing. Running out of things to try to relieve the pain...doctors out of pills to push!

post a few to try & liven up the forum. The dog days of summer are upon us here in the bayous. Steve in so la

Great,common sense advice and points that a lot of detectorists ignore.These days it seems that many are just led by the marketing men and rely more on technology rarther than hard learned skills.