Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quattro - not impressed...yet:) Please help it to impress me :detecting:

pelanj

I have bought a second hand Quattro for an irresistible price to try the FBS technology from Minelab. Once in a month I get close to sea for a few days and so I do some beach detecting. There is one particular beach where I have found a lot and I have cleaned it quite well with my other machines. I expected to find some deeper stuff I missed before but either there is none or the machine does not go deeper than a Tesoro Silver uMax with a 12x10 SEF coil (but that would surprise me). I also still dig some rusty steel bottlecaps and lots of pulltabs anyway (I expected that).

On another hand, I seem to start recognizing the bottlecaps by sound/id. There are three types of coins in DK, Cu-Ni with a hole (sound like a pulltab:( ), Aluminium bronze (sound like silver coins:) ) and smal Cu ones (have not found enough to recognize). Great thing is, that it is really stable close to the water. All other machines went crazy (except for Tesoro Tiger Shark in Salt mode which kind of worked)

I am still not decided which is better for me - ferrous or conductive audio. If I want to hunt without looking at the screen, then it is ferrous. Otherwise conductive in connection with the meter gives the most information IMHO.

I know the machine has quite some potential. How could I get deeper? I am considering a larger coil (15x12 SEF) and I was told that manual sensitivity goes deeper than auto. What would be the best "beach" setting? Currently I use low trash, sensitivity auto (will change to manual today), conductive audio and no discrimination. What is the optimal swing speed?

Hello pelanj, I had the same problem when first started out with the Quattro. The Quattro is a very good metal detector and it will go deep. I have personally found coins down to 7 to 8 inches in iron infested ground. There are two modes you can hunt in with the Quattro conductive and ferrous. In the conductive mode the Quattro will give large pieces of iron high sharped pitched tone, In ferrous mode iron will have low grunt tones. The Quattro and Safari is basically the same metal detector, only the Safari uses the pro coil. Here is a video of a person demonstrating what objects sound like in both modes with a Safari. click here This video help me a lot. Also make sure you noise cancel, and I do this before I start hunting, every so often during hunting, and every time I make a menu changes. I run my sensitivity to where my quattro runs stable and it usually between 12 and 16 depending where I am hunting. I have never used a 15 X 12 SEF coil, but I am considering buying the pro coil, from what I have learned the pro coil will help the Quattro get better performance. I use low trash density and I sweep my coil slow. From what I have learn and experienced with my Quattro the slow recovery time only deals with TID meter, So I am hunting by ear and when I hear something I like, I will sweep my coil over the area where I heard that object and then I use the TID meter. I hope this helped you out.

John

Hi John,
there are some really nice points. in your post! I saw the video you mentioned yesterday:) Today I have tried the conductive audio without any discrimination and I begin to be impressed:) On my favourite beach (which I hunt myself as far as I can tell) I have dug some coins I previously missed under a layer of new sand brought in by the camp owner. Then I have found some 10 ore coins, which are small Cu-Ni coins. They have sounded and ID'd with as with a bit of iron (I guess they were not laying flat) and that is why I missed them with iron discrimination. Actually all of the coins were quite deep and old. I think I will never use Auto sensitivity again, I must have walked over some of those coins in Auto a few days before.

All in all, the Quattro deserves its place in my arsenal and I will be soon buying a better coil for it. And If you say that the recovery time is mostly problem with the TID meter, then its even better than I hoped it to be.

I am glad that I could help you. I bought Quattro new in 2006 and I never really had time until recently to actually get to know how to use it. I know what you mean my Quattro has started to really grow on me. It is like having 6 year old new metal detector. Another thing I forgot to mention is you might want to notch out the TID #40. Most of the time when when the Quattro locks on to #40 it is a piece of Iron. I have been using this method and I no trouble finding silver coins and rings. Our American 5 cents is made of Cu-Ni and I have been finding a lot of those. We have a saying over hear is when you are digging nickles you have a good chance to find gold. Good hunting.

John

Hello guys,I traded off my E-trac and SE Pro but I kept my Quattro and I really enjoy using it.I can find the same stuff with it as I
did with my ET and SE I had a Safari and it operated the same as the Quattro does.I think that if I'm going to have a Minelab it
will be the Quattro because once you learn the best way to operate it,it is an awesome machine. Gary