Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quattro speed

rotty23

:minelab:I keep reading "slow down with the Quattro" My question is:
How slow? Not really sure how fast is to fast or how slow is to slow:confused:

what I do is when I pass over a target I then switch to pin-point mode to find exactly where it is. The way I read the machine is that it has a memory as to what the target is and when you switch to pin-point you are able to narrow it down to the spot. Compared to sweeping a floor with a broom, I would have to say about half that speed. Also it seems to pick up the best targets when it is just about 2 inches off the ground.......I am a newbe at this machine so this is a comparison to how I hunted with the PI.

Hi rotty23,
I find that if you are in trashy ground, you need to go a little slower than when detecting at the beach. For instance, in trashy ground, I take up to 3 seconds to do a one metre sweep, (a foot a second), in just one direction, nice and steady, then stop once you get a good signal, go back slowly to that signal, so you don't carry over the possible trash reading onto the good target. Then pinpoint as usual. Sometimes I have to slow down even more if the trash is very condensed especially when I know that there are several readings in one spot. In one hole I dug, I had a bunch of rusty nails, and below them, at about 9in deep pulled out an 1898 British halfpenny. I could have lost the signal if I didn't slow right down. At the beach, unless it's highly mineralised, you can generally speed up your swing, as your not dealing with the same type of trash found on the goldfields, other than the pulltabs and caps! I take about 2 seconds to a meter sweep, in one directon when working the beach. Try this: place two different types of targets side by side at six inches apart, discriminate against one of the targets, then do a sweep and see if you are carrying the null over the target. If you are, you need to slow down in your sweep. Hope I've helped.
Regards Angela

Gary, that sounds like very good advice. I like your idea of the two targets, one discriminated and see if the detector recovers fast enough after the null. I would even add, (possibly) you could try that and then try putting the targets even closer together and see how things react. You just gave me an idea here on trying a whole bunch of scenereos like approaching the targets from different angles as well as different speeds, maybe even use different targets to boot and if all that doesn't get us crazy, maybe do the same things only bury the targets a little. Thanks for the tip. I think I could learn a lot from all that practice.:):yo::crazy::)

Thanks everyone for the great advice...Us TH'ers here in the deep south have some terribly mineralized red dirt and clay to deal with.
I have to turn down my sensitivity to about 3 or 4 to keep the threshold humming...It still goes in and out but not as bad as the default setting...
I have a 135 acre homestead I'm trying to hunt but I'm getting so many ghost signals I don't have a clue what to dig and what not to dig...I have read Andy's book and carry it with me when I go out and it has helped some...I also have a 3 acre 100 year old house and land to hunt
and Ive found a small amount of coins there...Nothing old but something anyway...Ive dug ALOT of iron there with my Musky but with the help of Andy's book Ive not dug much trash there with the Quattro.
This book has been a big help but I wish this machine had been tested in heavily mineralized soil more than I think it has been...Maybe Minelab needs a tester in the south instead of just in areas with
normal soils.
Anyway thanks again guys and Ill keep yall posted on my progress :)