Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quattros and the surf

Explorer

I hear the Quattro works fantastic on the beach but how water resistant are they? Can you work the surf without fear of getting the unit wet?

Hello Explorer,
We have used the Quattro in the water but you have to be very careful, while the coil maybe waterproof the electronics are not and a big mistake of new users is, after detecting in the water they lift the coil higher than the electronics and if there is water in the shaft it runs on the inside of the shaft to the control box and goodbye Quattro or Explorer.
Regards Garry

Yea, the old water down the shaft thing. Doesn't sound pretty, and I can see where it might be pretty easy to forget about water getting in there and sling that bad boy over your shoulder and... opps...down the old shaft we go.

Sorry for not responding. I had made the post and then was called out of town on urgent business. Thanks for the replies.

I was concerned about the electronics. It seems nuts to me to design a machine that works really good on the beach and near water but not give it at least some shallow water tolerance.

What do you mean by "shallow water tolerance"? You CAN hunt fine in the shallow water with the Quattro or the Explorer. You CAN submerge the search coil and the shaft. What you CAN'T do with either one (or any other metal detector that isn't classified as a "Water" machine) is to submerge the control box that houses the electronics. Do that and it's toast. If you want to go swimming, you need to get the Excalibur. If you want to go shallow water hunting AND you're sure you aren't going to drop the machine in the water or get hit by a wave, then you're fine with the Quattro or the Explorer. I bought the Excal because I wasn't sure I wouldn't get it wet. There's no "tolarance", like if you get it a little wet it's ok.

That said, if you want to do mostly land hunting or beach hunting the dry and wet sand and maybe once in a while be very careful and go into the shallow water, you'll probably be fine and may not want to spend the bucks for a dedicated water machine. If you stay in water that's knee-deep or less and watch out for waves you'll probably be ok.

Mike,
You answered my question. I like to go into shallow water primarily since I have found that everyone works the damp ground. But it is the occasional wave or underwater cut that you stumble into that will toast your investment I worry about. It is not the cost but the flexibility of the Excal -- none interchangeable coils, head phones, etc. that is a turnoff. A minor amount of splash or dip in the water would be of minor design modifications. I am talking about the same specifications most marine radios, GPS, depth finders, TIMEX watches, have to be able to take 3 meter dip in the water and come up ticking.
I just think as expensive a piece of hardware the Quatro or Explorer that is and designed to use around water could be at least as water resistant as a $15 TIMEX.:rolleyes:

I hear ya. As somebody who has had a Quattro and now has an Excal and an Explorer II (and a Fisher CZ-70) I can tell you that my Excal with the 10" coil is my choice for the beach. I hunted the shallow water(a good bit), wet sand (mostly), and the dry sand (very little) with it this summer and did very well with it. I've been using the Explorer II strictly for land, though I did take it to the beach twice and scored a gold and silver ring with it. But the Excal does extremely well at the beach and the peace of mind in having the waterproof factor is worth the depth trade off to me.

Mike,
I see in your last post that you have used a CZ70 and the Excal.
The CZ70 is splash proof vs water proof. Do you think the Excal is a better machine than the CZ70 which you can change coils on?

Roger

The CZ is a great beach machine, compared to many others. It does very well in the wet sand and has respectable depth. It's a little more "skittish" actually IN the water, sometimes falsing a little but it's still decent. The Excal has it beat hands down though in depth and in it's ability to get the small gold and deeper stuff. Because the Excal is a threshold machine, I believe you have a much better chance of hitting a small or deep gold ring with it because a near-miss with the CZ will mean you go right over it. A near-miss with the Excal (or the Quattro for that matter) will more than likely result in a break in the background threshold buzz and that will tip you off to put on the brakes and go back for a closer look. This is the most important reason to choose the Minelabs over the CZ for the beach. And that goes for the Quattro, Explorers, and the Sovereigns as well.

But like the CZ, none of those are waterproof. The CZ is billed as "Rainproof" and "Slash Resistant", not splash PROOF. That means if you want to go (or get caught) hunting in a moderate rain, you'll probably be OK. As for the "Splash Resistant" part, they're talking about salt water there. Which is much more invasive and damaging than fresh water. And so a light splash of it on the display will probably be fine and maybe even be alright if you get nailed by a wave and then get out and rinse/dry it off quickly. But if you drop it in the water, you're screwed. I've seen it happen and it's a cryin' shame.

I don't see the coil switch issue being problem. The 10" coil on the Excal 1000 is big enough to give adequate coverage in the wet and dry and small enough to get in the water. Maybe not as nimble as the 8" or as big coverage as the S-12, but does both well. I say get the 1000 and don't look back. On the other hand, the CZ-70 is a wonderful machine as well and it's a terrific land hunter as well as a capable beach hunter. If you're trips to the beach will be few enough and little enough time in the water to not justify the cost of a water machine AND you have total faith in yourself to not drop it in, then get one. But the 17 frequencies of the Excal and it's variable tone system make it the winner at the beach.

Thanks for the insight. I am looking for the ultimate land and beach detector. In west Texas we have some stream crossings used by the Pioneers heading west. The water in the streams out here is rather saline so it becomes a concern. There do not appear to be any water proof systems that give you the flexibility of changing coils. Smaller coils are handy in brushy areas. I may just have to take my chances.

Well, there IS a watertight connector available for the Excal, so that you CAN change coils. There are several in here that either use or have used them.

The connector is made by Coiltek and if you go to the link below and scroll down a bit you can see it.

http://www.kamakazi.com/coiltek/connect.html

That might just be the ticket. An Excal with a stock 1000 modified to accept smaller or larger coils.

Mike, tell him about that guy from New York that's building the waterproof housings. Maybe he could get the guy to make him one. What I'm talking about here is a guy from New York, I think, that Mike has some pictures of a waterproof housing this guy built for the Explorer. Only thing is, I don't know if it would work for the Quatro or not, you'd have to ask this man, but it sure looked like a well built housing. Just a thought here, and Mike's probably gonna kick my ass for always pulling him into this stuff, but he seems to have the goods on so much great info)I can't seem to help it. Sorry Mike if I'm over doin it again. Mike did an earlier post on this stuff, which you could probably still find. Just start prowling over the old posts and it should be there. :|:(:|

I'm not sure if he wants me to keep posting his pics or if he's interested in doing that for others, so I'll pass on that.

But I think you should dig into the links at his website, below. They don't all work because he's still building the site but it looks like there's a place there where the water mods will eventually be showcased. Check it out...

http://www.detectorgear.com/