Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Queen Victoria and Her Young Friend

mapper65

Saturday, Hotrod53 took me and our Mom to a site that he's been eyeballing for a few weeks. There used to be an old house on the property and they've recently leveled the house to make way for the expansion of an intersection that's been a civil engineering nightmare since the day the road was put in.

It was a sloppy sort of mud hole at that time that we got there but eventually started to dry out as the day went on. Coins were kind of few and far between but we were finding some. Mom yelled over that she either had a coin or some kind of slug. To me it looked like a coin but the dirt wasn't rubbing off very well and it had a nice green patina to it. I took it back to the truck and rinsed it off a little and I could start to see the profile of a person. Mom's known for digging in the 1700's and I thought she had another King George. We left the coin as it was and continued on but I thought for sure she had another KG due to the profile that I was seeing. We spent another hour or so there and we all had a nice little handful of coins but no silver. I had one penny that I thought for sure was a wheat but it was a little too crusty to tell. Before we left Mom had a plastic brush with her in her detecting bag and after a little more water and some light brushing, her coin turned out to be an 1862 British Half Penny! That's a first for any of us.

When I got home and cleaned up my coins and the wheat that I thought I had ended up being a crusty 1892 indian. Both of these coins had holes in them but the holes were very different from each other so I'm not sure if these were ever a pair or not. They were about 15' apart from each other and if someone had them on a string they definitely put the holes in that at different times.

I was really glad that despite their condition, we were at least able to make out the dates very well. It was a good day!

Great finds!
That Lizzy haep' ne looks like it could have been strung for a pendant.

Indian looks like 1879 to me. :shrug: Pretty big hole in that one. ;)

Old Longhair said:
Indian looks like 1879 to me. :shrug: Pretty big hole in that one. ;)

Correct 1879. Long day of detecting today...

Hi mapper,

Good job..
Always intriguing to find non US coinage!
Where in the 'Burgh' are you?
I used live in the Nth Hills, back in the 1980's..started a club there called "The Pittsburgh Pastfinders!"

Desi D

Hi Desi, we have some mutual acquaintances, we'll catch up soon.