Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quest 20 , First Two Hunts.

bugg

I was looking for a low priced detector to be used as a clad magnet , that could be collapsed small to be carried on my service van at all times. Also the machine had to be easy to use as I want to have my 11 yr old son try detecting next year. I checked the you tube channels looking at different detectors under $300, and liked what I saw in the Quest 20. I ordered it from River Team 6 detectors.
It arrived earlier this past week,
Thursday,. I took it out to one of the local parks for 2 hours. I detected a 6' x 30' strip between a concession stand and a baseball field. I have used probably 6 different detectors over the last 5 years over this patch of ground. I picked up 11 clads coins , all older drops, from 2-5' deep. How in the heck did I miss these coins with the other higher dollar machines? 9 KHz a factor? The soil is bone dry, mostly orange clay and rocks, which makes for tough detecting with many machines. I really like the quick response on this machine. I found that swinging from right to left in about a second, second and a half to be a good speed for hitting the signals. Any faster and the audio starts to get clipped.
The coil on this machine seperates very well . I picked up a cent and nickel 2-3" from each other and the machine was telling me there were 2 targets. Zincolns were coming in at 77-79, copper cents at 80-82, the nickel was 57-58,dimes 83-84, quarters at 88-90. the deepest coin was a copper cent at 5" , and the numbers locked on , and the audio was great. Pulltabs were bouncing in the mid 60's to low 70's. I had one bounce a bit into the mid 70's and dug it, it was a pulltab at 6." One plated bottlecap read out like a cent, and an aluminum screwcap came thru in the zinc range. I used mostly the coins setting with the sensitivity at 80. The depth in the jewelry mode and coins mode seem to be the same. Both modes run quiet. I tried all metal, but its quite noisy, has one tone , , but the VDI still reads out the numbers of the target under the coil.
After the first 2 hour hunt, I had 19 coins in my pouch.
I did not like the detector tipping over when setting it down. So in the shop I drilled 2 holes in the plastic part under the handle, and screwed on a painted black piece of oak, 1"x 1/2" x6" long, to use as a detector stand. While the detector comes with a pair of inexpensive headphones, and they work alright, I went to radio shack and bought a 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter so I could use my grey ghost phones. I also bought a 1/8" 90 degree plug, so the jack coming out of the housing lays next to the housing. that way the headphone cord comes from the back of the housing and only has to make a 90 degree curve up to my ear .cup.
Today, I went back to the same park for 2 more hours, only a different section. I hit some of the heavy trash sections , and still pulled out a bunch of coins among the pulltabs. Again, great separation, smooth operation, it really discriminates well. I dug a lot less trash than the first day. again the deepest coin was at 5" . I ended up with another 19 coins.
Tonite I went into my test garden, in the coins mode, sensitivity at 90, smooth operation, It nails my 6" dime, like its an inch deep. Moving up to the 7" dime, and the audio is getting clipped, and the vdi numbers are quite jumpy. I would not have dug this signal today in the park as I would have guessed deep trash. But I think with more practice, encountering a signal like this , at the bottom of the depth meter, I may take a chance and dig this signal. My 7" quarter this machines hits well also. I do not have an 8" quarter buried , so I'm not sure if this machine could hit it or not.
Now just for comparison sakes, I had a T2 a few years ago, and in 3 tone, I could hit my 7" dime , but not the 8" er. So this Q20 is not that far behind in the depth department. Again your results in your soil will vary. My rocky orange type clay is some nastier soil.
I am very pleased with this purchase @ $259, its a clad magnet for sure. It collapses down to 29" , and fits in my van nicely. Its a keeper.

I bought one for my Grandkids a few weeks ago and was impressed with the detector. It's also waterproof and worked fine at the beach and saltwater. For the price & features, I thought it was a great detector. Seems like it's made well and hopefully will last.

Nice report! Funny you mentioning the use of wired headphones. For some reason I thought all the Quest models had wireless headphones, apparently not...well that does keep the Q20 price lower and affordable.

You mentioned the detector wanting to tip over on its side in uneven or taller grass, common issue with many detectors similar in style and center of gravity balance do the same. The smaller 5x9 coil that the Q20, Q40 comes with is super light weight, a big bonus making the Quest feel lighter than a Tesoro, it doesn't have the weight of the 9x11 search coil to keep the detector from tipping now and then. On the Facebook group it was brought up. Some have made a slip on plate that fits over the Quest detectors stand, Something that may be in the works by Quest down the line. I made a simple solution using a Whites Prism arm cuff and stand, it really solves the tipping issue. Just a side note the small small pad on the Quest detectors that is used as a stand was originally designed that way to keep the detectors compact, backpack-able and to keep water drag down when using the waterproof submersible Pro when water hunting.

Have fun with your Q20

I wonder how deep it will go in moist soil. The dirt here is dry as a bone. Its a nice basic detector for the money. I was back to the park again for 3 hours, picked up another 40 clad, as deep as 5".
My garrett carrot and the 20 swear at each other with in 2' of the coil. Nice and liteweight, I can swing it with out problems on my 59 yr old shoulder. I detected near by an electric pole that has about 20 wires coming off it, and no EMI issues that I could tell. Seperates well in heavy trash areas, the Hi coin tones stand out. HH

For 3 hours. The lake is lower so I have a fresh 15 foot swath to hunt. I ended up with 26 coins, and a nice heavy mans silver ring. One of the cents was a wheat. Also picked up a nickel with a tight 57-58 reading on the VDI. Some of the larger iron pieces were sounding like a coin one way, and the other way, no sound. Ok that's easy. Some of the fishing lead came thru around 80. Many coins I picked up also had trash in the hole. It sounds off on the coins real well. I really like the smooth audio on this detector. Not raspy sounding like some models. Deepest coin today was a cent at 6". This beach has more rocks than sand, so not a lot of deep targets. Was able to run the sensitivity at 85. I really enjoy swinging this featherweight machine. HH

On deep coins the audio is a bit smaller . Sometimes a bit broken up, and the VDI jumps around more, cant lock on as well, but mostly high numbers. Shallow coins bang hard, deeper coins a bit weaker, is probably the best description I can give. I also have nasty orange soil here, not sure how the response is in black dirt. Maybe Sven can chime in here.