Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about an Explorer XS

amustel

Hi! I just bought my first Minelab detector, an used Explorer XS. It looks in good cosmetic condition and seems to work good except one thing that maybe is normal or maybe not. The threshold sound is fine when I turn the detector on, but after some time detecting it becomes like a broken sound, not an stable "hum". All the other sounds (detection sounds are ok.) Any ideas, it is normal, is there a setting that I need to adjust to avoid this? Or it is faulty? I am a complete newbie with this machine, not to metal detection. I'm unly using quickstart by the moment. Thanks!

in your headphones, without headphones, or both?

If you hear the broken threshold both with and without your headphones on, then sounds like it's internal.

If you only hear the sound with your headphones on, then it's your headphones.

If you only hear the sound "without" your headphones on, then your XS speaker sounds like it's going bad.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

May be nulling, but I don't know for sure. I live is NE Nebraska, I don't think the ground is bad here, but I really don't know.

The broken sound occurs with headphones and with speaker only.

Thanks

Yes, I think Chris' assumption sounds more accurate......I think you're hearing the "null" response when your detector swings over a masked (rejected) target. You lose the threshold for a bit until you swing over clear ground or a target that's in your accepted area of your smartscreen.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

No, it is not null. When nulling, the "dirty" threshold sound quits and detector is silent.
If I change channels, sound is fine for some seconds, then it brokens again.

I can only hear a clean threshold sound when coil is lifted 3 or 4 feet from the ground.

All the other sounds (flute sounds) look noormal. Coins sound nicely. Only problem is the threshold...

Thanks!

When turning on hold the red button down till it says factory reset on screen See if that helps

Maybe your sensitivity is too high......

Hi, everyone, I'm glad to inform you that detector is perfect. I was doing a couple of things wrong.
Thanks to all for your help!

You're just nulling over discriminated out targets. When you hear it, you may won't to slow down so you don't miss targets because of masking. You don't have to stop, just go a bit slower.
Mick Evans.

amustel said:
Hi, everyone, I'm glad to inform you that detector is perfect. I was doing a couple of things wrong.
Thanks to all for your help!

Well? What couple of things? For those who may get an Explorer and don't want to do the same.

Jeff

I had the sensibility set too high and I was not doing the Noise Cancel procedure right. After I read a book about the Explorer I did it right and problem was gone.
Now I find myself turning the threshold volume all the way down, after all. When I become more proficient with the machine I will use it again, but now it just distracts me when nulling.

i can't find my book or manual, whats the right way to noise cancel. what did you end up setting the sensitivity at.