Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about beach finds

I can believe law enforcement treated you like a criminal. In their minds they take an us versus them mentality. But having said that always remember this, in treasure trove law there are three types of property. STOLEN: just as the name implies it was stolen does not matter how you acquired it it belongs to the person it was stolen from. LOST: this is property that was accidentally lost. This still belongs to the person who lost it. ABANDONED: these are items that have either been thrown away or an attempted recovery of a LOST property was written off.
Unfortunately to cover yourself you should by all means contact law enforcement. The courts have ruled that you can be charged for the mere possession of stolen property. Can be forced to return lost property no matter what cost you might have incurred to recover it. And you can keep abandoned property. So before you report it check the laws in the state you live in. Be knowledgeable keep a copy of relevant laws. Be cordial and respectful when dealing with Law Enforcement. And good luck.
Are you kidding? Cops treat everyone like a criminal THAT'S WHAT THEY DO

I'm glad the cops in my area could care less what I'm doing.

The only problem I've heard of was someone called the cops for someone committing suicide in the water. One of the local detectorist was detecting in the water in December. The cops and firemen came blazing down to the water. Found out he was detecting and they all started laffing.

It’s been my experience….. when the police or park managers or DNR get a complaint from someone it seems easier to tell us no than tell them we are in the right. Now Fls has more no trespassing sings on the beaches all the way to water with some craziness that’s got home owners drawing a line in the sand. I’ve got stories to Joe… all kind of crazy people

Let me share a crazy story with you. So I'm hunting this little beach in 2017..I doing very well there with about 40 gold rings from it that summer. A lady comes down the pier and asked if I had found a wedding band, said her neighbor had lost his in the water playing with his dog, throwing a ball. I asked if she could give me a area, she did and went back up the hill to her home. About 30 minutes later I find just the ring she had described. I went up gave it to her, and she walked next door and gave it to the son (about 17 years old). So she thanks me and I go back to hunting for awhile.... then leave. A month later I go back with my friend Ed and we are hunting away. Next think I know Ed is waving at me.. and tells me we have to leave. Said a lady had called the police for she said we were disturbing the dogs of her next door neighbor. As I walked over the police arrived, 4 police officers. The one officer asked what we were doing behind the peoples town homes. Metal detecting.. then he asked for ID's. The officer was very profession but acted as if we were in the wrong. With that I told him the laws, we are allowed in the water but not allowed to touch their piers. Since he did not know the laws he said he was unaware of this.. So I offered the DNR's phone number for him to call. (DNR is the Department of Natural Resources...the water Police) He disappears for about 15 minutes then returns and tell us we can stay but he is going to investigate this further. I asked him..... once he finds out we are correct in being there could he please share with the home owners. I shared with him that I had helped the home owners but that did not soften him or the other officers, ....A comment was made by one of the officers that we were disturbing the peace by aggravating the one home owners dogs. I told him when every the one lady sees us..... she puts her dogs out. Anyway no progress but the police left, I never heard another word when I hunted there several more times and never got a Thank You from the owner of the ring... And get this.. Some time passes.... the lady that called the police had enough nerve to come down and tell me he had lost his ring again and asked me to watch for it. Little did I tell her .... if I find it this time I'm going to throw it out further.. and it was a black new age metal ring ... one reason it was different then all of the other treasures I had found there...

And I have several other crazy stories of encounters with the police and home owners but this one was the one that made me a full blooded pirate. Never again will I help anyone unless they are right there with me to help..

And I fully agree with surfdog... 3 years going now....I Go Pro the full hunts, any question of my finds being legit, almost runover by jetski's, any sharks try me, and questions about where did you get that at... I have a video record.
I have a little trick. On the handle of my scoop, I have a plug with a string and a hook. I put the good things there and all the garbage I put in the waist bag. If someone asks me if I have gotten anything good, I show them all the garbage. If someone gives me specific information on a piece of jewelery, I will return it to them.
Normally, everything that can be identified, I take it to the lost property office and after two years, if the owner has not claimed it, they return it to me. What does not have brands or can not give specific data (such as an alliance without names or initials) I just keep it.

Attachments

• 238e7700-98f8-492a-bd28-c77c099bbe8b.jpg
    238e7700-98f8-492a-bd28-c77c099bbe8b.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 143
  • 47cb77bc-ebe0-4a0a-a061-b23854623e1f.jpg
    47cb77bc-ebe0-4a0a-a061-b23854623e1f.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 5970f66f-550c-4c42-924b-f54710d5c071.jpg
    5970f66f-550c-4c42-924b-f54710d5c071.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 2ced1c90-90d9-486b-8d64-23904f5bebf5.jpg
    2ced1c90-90d9-486b-8d64-23904f5bebf5.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 67298e52-cc94-400d-bc6d-63676d88126c.jpg
    67298e52-cc94-400d-bc6d-63676d88126c.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 140
WOW ... are you serious?

NO! not so! AS it is in all groups & types of PPL --there are Good, Mediocre & Bad ones & sometimes at different times depending on the Circumstances on how one feels--sometimes they arrest the perpretator as they should be; other times let then go with or without a warning that if they continue in their Criminal or Obnoxious ways they will be given a Ticket or taken to the police station & then maybe jailed; so it's best to treat the PPL with respect who have more power & authority than we have & sue later if they mistreat us if we aren't wrong & they are! But the first two things I would do, if at all able to do so is pull over, smile & listen to what those in authority have to say that I did wrong & then PRAY that God would help me in the problem; especially if I was rather sure that I wasn't in the wrong! I've been pulled over twice--one for running a stop sign which wasn't really my fault as a large Van blocked my view of the stop sign but I told myself the ticket was for the stop signs I did accidently run but didn't get caught & the other on a country road in territory I wasn't used to, to pull over far enough for an emergency vehickle to pass safely, I hesitated in pulling over & the police stopped me, gave me a lecture (knew I was not from there) & a warning but no ticket, for he saw I hesitated in pulling over & not sure what I should do seeing no way clear to allow passing safely! Always best to stay in Prayer & ask God to protect us in all c ircumstances that should suddenly arise, for God is Good & even better when we & the police are born again Christians serving Jesus &, may I say, both or all are feeling well & having a GOOD DAY or NIGHT! Amen! Ma

I have a little trick. On the handle of my scoop, I have a plug with a string and a hook. I put the good things there and all the garbage I put in the waist bag. If someone asks me if I have gotten anything good, I show them all the garbage. If someone gives me specific information on a piece of jewelery, I will return it to them.
Normally, everything that can be identified, I take it to the lost property office and after two years, if the owner has not claimed it, they return it to me. What does not have brands or can not give specific data (such as an alliance without names or initials) I just keep it.

Works fine unless shovel is leaned up against a tree & then walked away from, like my ex did on a long-handled one, that I had won at our clubmeeting but no rings & such were lost with it--now that would really hurt & make a person CRY!! Ma

Here is just one example of what LEOs do every day in support of their communities that belies your statement:
And there is just as many opposite stories about the bad cops and the whole department knowing but looking the other way.
Yes I have met some really good Cops & I have met some real jerks that strive to be pricks

Who's dad, yours? My dad was WWII vet and then worked computers and space craft. I do know a lot of LEOs.

tvr: Thank you for your dad for I know some of what WWII was like! My uncle John & his uncle (my great uncle-- same age), fought together in Italy during WWII--dad tried to join the Navy but never was called! Uncle John told me many stories concerning the War--never really bad ones, they were more on the funny side of life because I was only 10 when the War ended in 1945--where did all those years go since I am 86 now! I remember Hitler & his regime which is almost like Obama's & Biden's now, so hate Dictators & Communism! Please Jesus help us by answering our PRAYERS of Faith! Amen! Ma

You have to be very careful when returning things I know a guy who found a wallet who turned it in to the police The owner in return said he stole the money out of it which there was no money in it when he found it!
He had to go to court and pay the guy back the money that wasn’t even in the wallet!!
He said he would never return the wallet to the police again!
I found a few wallets in my lifetime one of them had a couple hundred dollars in it. I found the guy online called him and said I would meet him I was not going to turn the wallet in to the police because of what happened to the guy I know ..
Mark

Hmmm :unsure: I have problems with this story. Geez this makes the 2nd false posting I have debunked this early morning. Surfdog you should have proof read your story before posting it. Should I say what gives it away or should I wait and see if anyone sees what I see ;) I'll wait :rofl: