Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about frequencies

Treasure Scout

Hi,

I have a MineLab XT 18000 which has three frequency settings: 6.4kHz, 20kHz, and 60kHz. I understand that the lower frequency is for deep large nuggets and the higher frequencies for tiny nuggets.

When I read advertisements for other brands of detectors for hunting gold, I see there are some that have only one frequency, as high as 71kHz.

Do these detectors have the ability to be set so that they can find tiny and large nuggets?

Thanks for your time,

Dave

Generally speaking, the higher the frequency, the smaller the gold, and less depth. Lower frequency, the nuggets have to be larger, but you get better depth.

However, that is not to say that if you have a 71 mHz machine, you will miss a 1 ounce nugget at 6 inches. If the nugget is large enough, you will hear it. However, you might miss it at 9 inches at 71 mHz, but hear it if you have a machine that is 6.7 mHz.

There always seems to be trade offs with all of these configurations.

I am a Minelab dealer so I have a XT18000 and a Eureka Gold, the thing I like about them is the auto ground balance. However, I also own a Goldbug II, I like it because of it's ability to discriminate, and the fact that when I am working tailing piles, I do not want a machine that goes deep. I want to scrape a bit off the tailing pile, detect it, scrape a little more and so on.

Hope this helps you understand this a bit better.

Thanks for asking!

DOC