Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about freshwater lake temperatures.

hibby

I haven't invested in any sort of neoprene or diving suit and initially plan on just searching with swim trunks and such. My local lake temp right now is 51 degrees. If I'm going to be searching thermally unprotected, what is a safe minimum temperature to go from? Is 51 too cold? I rtealize some of this is personal preference but I don't want to end up with hypothermia.

Thanks for your opinions.

Chris

this will give you the info.
http://www.coastimages.com/zine/hypothermia.html

I go in with shorts or swim trunks.After the first wave splashes up the Ol pant leg and drenches the Ol toastadas then its all down hill.

If your not geared accordingly. Work the dry sand, sun bathers are there now!. And there's plenty of good finds left from last year, the year before etc, etc.
This is NO! time for Speedo's.:rofl:

[quote Sand Scoop]I go in with shorts or swim trunks.After the first wave splashes up the Ol pant leg and drenches the Ol toastadas then its all down hill.[/quote]

I have to agree...

I'm in Central Florida "St.Cloud" at the moment... I was hunting a inland lake the other day and the water was Chilly.. So I started by hunting in the shallows just above Knee high... Then the dreaded deeper section was upon me fast.. Then once the chill sets in your pretty good for a couple hours..

It always feels better when you walk into a ThermoCline and can feel a lil warmth...

In the early spring in the midwest I got by with a 5mm farmer john suit along with neoprene boots and gloves.When warmer weather set in,a shorty suit with lighter weight neoprene gloves and boots kept me warm after I'd been in the water(even warm water) for 4 hours and longer.Nothing is worse than having to get out of the water because your cold,especially when gold and silver are to being found.
Good used wetsuits can be found on e-bay.Many to choose from.
Waterbug

here is an interesting link that will give you an idea of survival times. http://www.ussartf.org/cold_water_survival.htm

this however does not reflect how long you will be comfortable!!!

hh and good luck! steve

I have my 5mil USD super stretch suit by Aqualung and I wouldn't trade it for anything right now. Very comfortable and keeps me warm. I actually wasn't going to get into the water yet except with my waders BUT when the news wanted to do the article on me I decided to give it a go. Well I was plesantly suprized at how warm I was. I only use shorties in the summer months and I love them.

I HATE cold water and the only reason I got this suit is because I did computer work for my local dive shop. I have been completely satisfied with it. I had a different suit and it chaffed my elbow when I detected and seemed VERY confining. I also tried a drysuit once but I was uncomfortable in it.

Everybody has their own preference. If you get a chance to try a super stretch suit by any company I think most will agree they are great.