Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about low serial number Digger coils

hotrod53

Mapper65 and I were talking the other day..... it is my understanding that something was changed on the Digger coil soon after release, I have also seen things about being sure that your Xterra was made after a certain date in order for it to work. My details are sketchy on this, that is why I ask this question.

One of the coils in our circle is S/N 012 or 016, is there something different about that coil than my S/N 300+? If there is a difference, would Coiltek update it or would it even be necessary? I thought that I heard that it was something about programming, which I assume would have to do with the smart card. Can anyone explain details on what the change was?

I figured Digger or OLH could address this for us.

A programming change was necessary due to a glitch discovered late, but not on production coils. To have a serial number that low, means that you bought a used pre-release coil from a tester.
You can try to contact Coiltek to see what they might do for you, but since it wasn't purchased as a new coil they might say "too bad"....but you never know.
The only other thing that you might try, is to get ahold of whomever you got it from and see what they might consider doing.

I had some problems with the early prototypes. But that is part of the process in bringing a new product to market. It is my understanding that there were no Digger coils released to the public until after the updates were included and the product was approved.

The updates made to the X-TERRA were not in regard to the Coiltek coils. Coiltek is an authorized manufacturer. Software changes were made to the X-TERRA, in part, due to the unlicensed coils being made by that company that we don't talk about here. JMHO HH Randy

The S/N in discussion was purchased from another member on this forum, I'd find it unlikely that it was pre-production. I'm glad to hear Diggers explanation which tends to point that there is no difference. As for my coil, its new as of a few days ago... dying to get it muddy :)

I have serial #14 here, and it is a pre-release coil that was superseded. I don't have my newer one handy to get a number from, but that doesn't matter. If the coil in question is indeed #12 or 16 then it is one of the test units that were not quite right.

just for information I purchased my Digger early last June and works GREAT. serial number is 123.

Good Hunting
ArtWI.

Yes the serial number on the black sticker is 00123. The black sticker also says warranty void if removed.

ArtWI

This may be slighty off topic but since we're talking about serial numbers on the Digger coil all serial numbers 00343 and above are now fully submersible and as luck would have it I have 00342 the last one that isn't !!

porter505 said:
on the Digger coil all serial numbers 00343 and above are now fully submersible
Correct. On Coiltek's website it says, "Fully Submersible Coil as of 1st November 2013".

I just checked the good one that I have, and the serial number on it is 00082. So any issue that they had was worked out by then, and there should be no problem with subsequently produced coils.

DARN IT! I'm 00334!

I got mine in Sept. and it's 308

Hi all,
I have just read this thread and need to clarify things for you all. Digger has also mentioned this.

There are NO coils released in any of the XTERRA coil series, especially the Diggers, which were not of production quality. All coils released with serial numbers have the latest and greatest programming in the coil chip. Any testing or prototype coils which are made by us will never have a production serial number so none of these are in circulation (prototype coils)

There has been a change in the XTERRA detectors which was relating to non Authorised coils. This was in 2012. I have no further info on this.

If you have any of the digger coils with a serial number no matter how low you have a production top quality coil.

We have recently implemented a great feature of water proofing to the 6" coil size which now allows them to be fully submersible. As posted in a reply to this thread there is a serial number point which we have published relating to this. All coils will be very water resistant before this number so can take some moisture conditions but not submersion.

Again, no matter what serial number you have it is of the latest revision and production quality.

I hope this helps you all and go the DIGGERS!

Regards, Trevor @ Coiltek

I think this all started from this post from Digger and probably where OLH came up with this also. Now that it has been clarified by Trevor at Coiltek I don't think there are any questions.

"NOTE: Since receiving and testing this "prototype" coil, I've been advised that Coiltek has implemented updated programming into the "Digger". As soon as I receive one and put it through it's paces, I will make a full test and report my findings to you. Until then, recognize that this report is based on my impressions with the prototype."

UPDATE REPORT ON Coiltek's 6 Inch "Digger"

Thanks much Trevor @ Coiltek for the timely reply to my question/concern regarding my Digger coil serial # 00016. FYI It's always a good thing to get your facts straight before throwing everyone off into a tizzy with misinformation. The latter wasn't meant to be a slam, nor was it directed at anyone in particular. Just an observation, that's all.

On the flip side of this, I thank everyone for their time & effort spent with making this X-Terra sub forum a place that I can browse to get valuable information when needed. I use the Digger coil all the time, therefore I'll be upgrading to the submersible one in the spring as well. Good day!

Thanks for addressing the questions.
HH Randy

Before you blame anyone for your inaccurate interpretation of that October 29, 2012 post, I suggest you read it again. The post clearly has two parts.....Part one is as it says...UPDATED information on the 6-inch "Digger" X-TERRA coil by Coiltek. If you scroll down, you will see that the second part is in different colored type, is separated from the first part with *******, and clearly marked....Initial field test That was the field test I prepared for Coiltek, prior to the final changes being adopted.
The very last thing in that entire post was a "NOTE", which is what you copied and pasted to your post. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1801729,1801729#msg-1801729
Again, the very first paragraph in that post, which was the UPDATE, clearly indicates that the problems had been resolved. "After corresponding with Coiltek in regard to what I considered to be "less than desired" TID information provided on low conductive targets, Coiltek updated the 6-inch coil to reflect more accurate information on those targets. A big "tip of the hat" to Trevor and the folks at Coiltek for not only listening to my comments, but for responding in such a direct and professional manner. The new coil I received is far better at identifying low conductive targets, with little affect on the higher conductive TID readings."

I worked for a LONG time encouraging Minelab to work with Coiltek in producing this coil. I was honored when they offered to name it Digger.

After their agreement was reached, Old Longhair and I worked with both companies to assure that a quality product was being developed. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1826425,1828298#msg-1828298

On October 4, 2012, we were told the 6-inch coil, as well as the two new All Terrain coils, were ready to be "announced".
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1789137,1789137#msg-1789137

The coils would not become commercially available until October 29. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1789137,1795289#msg-1795289

Hopefully, Trevor's post, in response to my email, has cleared up any misconceptions about the Digger coil. In the future, I would appreciate it if you would get your facts straight before making misleading statements on this forum. . HH Randy

I'm just waiting to hear they are coming out with a 6x9 3kHz for the XTerra's

surfchunker said:
I'm just waiting to hear they are coming out with a 6x9 3kHz for the XTerra's

Don't start any rumors surfchunker. ha ha ha

I'd be open to hear about any new coils for the Xterra series if something ends up coming about.

Thanks Trevor, that's EXACTLY the information that I was seeking, clear as it can be!

Not sure exactly how to take this:
In the future, I would appreciate it if you would get your facts straight before making misleading statements on this forum. . HH Randy

.... but it was merely a question, and now cleared up perfectly by Trevor. The only misconception that I am aware of was the response about pre-release serial numbers of coils that has been debunked by Trevor. Maybe no one understood how the post release numbering was done or maybe the scheme was changed after final design, no matter. The coil's origin in question was from a legitimate authorized dealer on this site, and yes, it was used, I'm thrilled to hear that there is no issue with it. I may be mistaken on the exact serial number since #16 has been claimed, I do know that it is right under or around #20. That sparked a question in my mind, based on pre-release serial number information provided, whether this coil had the update, further fueled by not being exactly sure what the change was. It appears that I could have found additional info on the changes as shown in links posted above, oh well.

All questions have been so eloquently cleared up by Trevor and much appreciated! Thanks again Trevor, the three that our group own that have already been put to use have performed admirably. I'm anxiously waiting for this white stuff to melt so that I can get #336 out and hunting! Looking forward to posting some new goodies soon.