Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about my detector (lonestar)

Junkfinder 2000

Just curious if anyone who owns a lonestar does any beach hunting with it? Ive heard rumor that the beach gives some detectors a tough time and would like to hear what to expect. Thanks in advance!:detecting:

Hi Junkfinder,
I am curious too...I also use the Lonestar and we are going to Edisto Island, SC in a couple of weeks. Really cannot wait to see how the detector reacts. I also have heard that the really wet sand is hard to detect in (just too wet, ???) but that the Lonestar will do okay in the dry sand. I hope someone has been before and can give you the feedback you are looking for so I can then look over your shoulder and get some pointers too!!
HH and good luck

Red, Sounds like to me its the salt that gives the problem and black sand from what other posts ive seen, should be ok above the surf I hope... Im gonna be testing it out pretty soon at Myrtle Beach. I usually vacation there and with the purchase of a camper I'll be down there alot more :bouncy: Maybe we'll get a straight answer from a seasoned vet pretty soon. hh!

and we tried it out a little at a tiny lake beach. it seemed to do ok but we were not on an ocean beach. although he says it dosent do so well in the sand i really couldnt tell any difference in the function of it from the sand to the dirt. the beeps were still clear. salt water sand? i have no idea. we havent done that yet.

hi ya'll, the lonestar models should do you well in the dry sand. it's a land model, don't forget. the salt and other minerals in the wet sand - and black sand - play havoc with a land machine's electronics. if the machine starts chirping, turn your sensitivity down and keep going. nugget has been searching the beaches in australia for years with his tracker 4, and has had great luck. if you want to search beaches a lot, then i would suggest that you buy a dedicated beach machine, which handles black iron rich sand and wet sand with ease. hope it helps, good luck, and hh,

Sounds like I'm set then. Never hunter at the beach but all the stories ive heard has me pumped up about it. Think I'm gonna strap a light on that bad boy and swing at night. Been so hot lately. Thanks again for the help guys and HH!

I haven't had much luck at the beach. My last search netted me .06 cents and a fistful of pulltabs.

Hello !

I'm an avid beach hunter in Belgium, EU

I use the Lonestar exclusively in the good season and on the dry sand. The unit is fitted with the 10" coil.

I am very satisfied of the ways it signals and IDs the euro coins here.

My best result this year : 42,76 euro (about sixty-eight $) in two and an half hour.

The only drawback : it won't pick thin gold. Gold rings are OK but depth is less than average on small ones .

And the only thing I dislike about it : the battery system. But nobody's perfect !

Happy Hunting with:bounty:

Nick.

Hi junkfinder. I'll add my 2 cents. The dry ocean beach sand will hunt
just fine. But wet SALT sand is a problem for all VLF circuits. This is
because the salt causes a "capacitance effect", which makes the
wet sand act like a big sheet of iron. The effect is like a capacitor holds
a charge until the circuit lets it release it. About all you can do with the
Lonestar is decrease the sensitivity a bit and increase the discrimination
a bit. You'll have to move a bit slower and try to keep the coil at the same
height above the sand (distance from the capacitance effect is crucial to
stability of the receive circuit. You'll get the hang of it with practice.
Bury a quarter in the wet sand at various depths to learn the effect.
Of course, the motion disc. circuit will try to compensate with some success,
depending on the wetness content of the sand. Good Luck!:crazy:
..W

hey ya'll, just wanted to thank you guys again for all your help. I cant tell ya how bad im itchin now to gettin down there =D And dobbie, I'm gonna be at Myrtle Beach. Wish me luck! hh guys!

Junkfinder 2000 said:
hey ya'll, just wanted to thank you guys again for all your help. I cant tell ya how bad im itchin now to gettin down there =D And dobbie, I'm gonna be at Myrtle Beach. Wish me luck! hh guys!
Ditto on the thanks...I had been wanting to respond to this for a few days but 'puter problems put a damper on the idea. :thumbdown:Good luck Junk,on your trip to Myrtle Beach. We are headed to Edisto this weekend (it's just south, below Charleston) and I am starting to dream of the Spanish Gold Coinage flowing from the scoop!!:super: Thanks again to everyones responses and ideas,