Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about nel coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy clark

or the nel coils just not that good on an exterra,or is it that minelab just don't wont any body to use them? I have several of M.L.s coils I was just thanking about getting a nel coil.

We do NOT discuss them on this forum.
They are illegally produced via reverse engineering (pirated), and we DO NOT condone illegal activity.

Beyond that, there are certain specific programming aspects that can not be "reverse engineered', meaning that there is no way that they can perform as optimally as authorized coils produced by Minelab and Coiltek.
In other words...save your money. Don't feed the thieves.

Nothing personal Jimmy.
For more information direct from Minelab, check out the pinned thread at the top of the page regarding the 2016 product notice and follow the link.

They are illegally produced via reverse engineering (pirated), and we DO NOT condone illegal activity.

Beyond that, there are certain specific programming aspects that can not be "reverse engineered', meaning that there is no way that they can perform as optimally as authorized coils produced by Minelab and Coiltek.

Nothing personal Jimmy.
For more information direct from Minelab, check out the pinned thread at the top of the page regarding the 2016 product notice and follow the link.
Coiltek is not Minelab!!!

Nothing personal Jimmy.
Here we go again.

I don't know about all that pirated , reverse engineered , stolen tech that you speak of, BUT I'm here to tell you factually that the sharpshooter I ran on my O'le exp II and now on the fisher f-44 performed/performs as optimally as the factory coil if not better. Thats no BS ! . Just the plain truth regardless if you want to believe it or not. Sorry.

Mark ( ohio )

I don't know about all that pirated , reverse engineered , stolen tech that you speak of, BUT I'm here to tell you factually that the sharpshooter I ran on my O'le exp II and now on the fisher f-44 performed/performs as optimally as the factory coil if not better. Thats no BS ! . Just the plain truth regardless if you want to believe it or not. Sorry.

Mark ( ohio )
Apples and oranges my friend. Your old Explorer and your Fisher coils are nothing but basic wound wire dipole antennas and there's nothing special about them.

The Xterra's coils are V-Flex™ SmartCoils™ that communicate with the machine. There is effectively a two-way digital communication interface between them. That technology is proprietary and only Coiltek has been licensed and given authorization and information necessary to develop/produce properly functioning coils.

Didn't know they was stolen tech.
Yet they've worked incredibly well on my oll Minelabs. Yes. Just a coil.
Though their better than factory coils.

Didn't know they was stolen tech.
Yet they've worked incredibly well on my oll Minelabs. Yes. Just a coil.
Though their better than factory coils.
And where do those coils come from? I'll give you a hint, it's the most corrupt country in Europe and we're sending them billions of our tax dollars. :ranting:

Nothing personal Jimmy.
For more information direct from Minelab, check out the pinned thread at the top of the page regarding the 2016 product notice and follow the li

Nothing personal Jimmy.
Its seems I Asked about nel coils four years ago. Why is it being brought up now? that was when I owned a 705.

We all know that the Nel coils are as good or better than any minelab coil. We can talk about them on her now. Thank goodness. Let’s admit they are good. And yes maybe not authorized by minelab. Let me see you only by car parts at your dealer. Let me know how that works out for you. I get sick of the bashing a coil because of affiliation with minelab. I know and many know you use to use Nel coils and liked them Longhair. I have seen your older post on other forums. I use to mainly use Nel coils on my xterra. They are great. And so are coiltek and minelab. If this post is out of line delete it. But I think many are sick of it. Admin told me months ago that we could talk about Nel coils on here since minelab is not a sponsor. I like minelab and still use one. And I like you Longhair but I do not like the always shutting down a great coil. The new minelabs I don’t think need a different coil at least my box doesn’t. It is great the way it is except the build quality on the coil ears.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to try to explain it all one more time, and hopefully everyone will understand.

I have no problem with NEL making coils for a variety of metal detectors. Most coils are nothing all that special, as they are basically just antennas. However, Minelab, with the Xterra line, opened up a new world of all digital detectors, and the coils employed are no longer simple copper windings inside an epoxy filled plastic housing. The coils now contain proprietary technology that allow the coils to communicate in a two-way information flow with the control box.

My beef with NEL is an ethical one as much as anything. They stole the technology via dissection & reverse engineering. It is intellectual theft! Though to a lesser degree, it's not that different than when the Chinese stole U.S. guided missile technology back when Clinton was POTUS. Was that okay? How about you put yourself in Minelab's position for a minute. How would you like to spend thousands and thousands of dollars hiring top physicists and developing new technology only to have thieves capitalize off your time, money, and effort investment?

Beyond that, there is the performance aspect. While I can't be too specific due to NDA, I can assure you that NEL does NOT have access to programming information necessary for their coils to operate at peak performance. I am aware of at least one mistake that Minelab made that they had to patch, and without the closely guarded details of that anomaly it is impossible to produce optimally performing coils. Coiltek wasn't even aware of it until one batch of coils had been sent out to field testers that we ended up rejecting due to the issue.

Then add to that that Minelab even went so far as to make changes in their firmware specifically to thwart the use of unauthorized coils. To counter that move by Minelab the thieves had to come up with a button pushing sequence on startup to FORCE the control box to accept it. Please explain how this is a good idea, and/or how it makes for a coil that is just as good or better than the authorized coils available......I'll wait.

Back before Coiltek was given the green light to develop and produce Xterra coils and we only had 7 Minelab coils to choose from, I felt a lot like you do. But, Randy made me see the truth of the matter, we (many of us) pressured Minelab to expand the line of available coils, and he got me directly involved with the whole process. We helped bring new coils to the market, and they are superior!
It was Randy's policy to disallow discussion of clandestine coils (with Guv's approval), and I maintain that policy, because like Randy I have no desire to reward thieves.

It’s not stealing when you just go around something and design it so it doesn’t need some of the things to operate. If it was stealing they would have not been able to sell them in the US. It makes minelab better when you can have a better coil selection. The newer detectors do not need the coil selections. But the older detectors did. If I had to only buy Toyota or Gm parts for my vehicles I would buy another brand. It would be too high to work on them. To each their own and I liked my xterra 70 with a Nel hunter coil attached. And a storm Nel. But I have to say my deepest coil was the 10.5 18khz minelab coil on civil war bullets. Since minelab doesn’t sponsor this forum any more let us talk about any cool we want is all we ask. We all know they are well built. And the new xterras don’t need them so all in all I shouldn’t care anymore either. Hats off to Nel and Minelab coils.

<snip> It’s not stealing when you just go around something and design it so it doesn’t need some of the things to operate. <snip?
I bet that if it were your time and money involved with its development you would see things differently.
<snip> If it was stealing they would have not been able to sell them in the US. <snip>
This is absolutely NOT true! Believe it or not, there is no such thing as an enforceable international patent. The U.S. does recognize and support foreign patents, but doesn't enforce them, and leave the process of locating offenders, filing complaints, and bringing law suits up to the plaintiff. That means that Minelab would have to find and sue each seller of clandestine coils itself, which for a company located in Australia is essentially cost prohibitive. That is the only reason that NEL (and others) got away with pirating Minelab's technology.

I don't know about how you feel about it, but I think more than enough of my money is going to Ukraine against my will already. I'm not going to even suggest that anyone should send them any more. The fact is that Ukraine is a den of thieves and has been for 100 years. There are likely more counterfeiters and hackers working out of that one country than in all of China.

All I know is you always praised them years ago into you got involved with Minelab. And all people want to know when they get on here is how they perform. Not about any other thing and then you always go attack mode. Let us who use the answer the question. If we use them and don like them that is ok. And if we use them and like them that is ok. Most have only asked about how well they work. And I agree we do not need to send more money over there. And I agree with you on most things. Just not on how you answer people Nel questions.

Thank goodness for the ignore function.

Status
Not open for further replies.