Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about nickels and the new detectors...

JimGilmore

I'm curious if the large number of nickles found using the gb's and g2's is more related to the frequency , or the discrimination system ?

A mixture of both I would say. It (the Gold Bug Pro) hits hard with a reading of 58, and I am sure the G2 is the same.

I agree, probably both, but a nickel is a lower conductor -- and the higher freq. of the G2/GBs theoretically would favor lower conductors. I do also think though that alot of people that use the G2/GB are TRYING to hit lower conductors like gold jewelry, etc, and so are doing a little more of the "dig everthing" type of mentality -- and nickels pop up alot, obviously, in that type of mindset.

Steve

Howdy Jim...Jefferson nickels have a lower conductivity. The Gold Bug Pro
was especially designed for enhanced senitivity to low conductors. A small
gold nugget, like a USA- minted nickel is also low conductive...

Also the GB-Pro has a barograph that measures the amount of magnetite
(magnetic black sand) in the dirt under the moving search coil while ground
balancing.... the more iron (magnetic suceptibility expressed in micro-
ergs), the better chance to find any associated gold... Parrott

I wish I found more nickels. I get the newer ones from the tot lots but just dont see many solid 58's. I set my desc to 67 to allow nickels to grunt but get more trash than nickels.

As was said. The Gb Pro/G2 are super hot on nickles for several reasons. Main reason is the machine was designed for lower conductors which is exactly what nickles are. I found the G2 and Gold bug pro now are excellent on all low conductors. If you have more questions feel free to call or email me! Sent you a PM.

I'm going to take a stab here and relate to a comment by Dave J that said they are putting "secret sauce" in them things. I think he also mentioned that the detector frequency is not as big of a deal now as it used to be. That said, my nickel and gold jewelry count has done nothing but go up since I started using my GB Pro. I've also noticed I hit more coins sitting vertically and multiple coin dumps. When I'm coin shooting in parks and schools I set my GB Pro for around 54 disc and use Dave's bottle cap test method. I still get burned by some bottle caps and pull tabs but not too bad.