Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about the detector pro underwater detector

jimmy clark

I only fresh water hunt. just wondering if anyone use, or have used the headhunder underwater detector for freshwater hunting an if so whats your thougths on it? Ive been using a tiger shark for 18 years, an know that tesero is out of business, I thought I would try to find a good used headhunter underwater or a wader as a backup.

it works quite a bit like a 1280x
good unit

Reactions: tvr
it works quite a bit like a 1280x
good unit
Thanks for the reply. I had a pirate [not the pro] for a while. only used it twice, did not like it. do you know anything about the pirate pro an the wader? I haven't heard any talk about detector pro company lately I guess their still in business. I called detector pro a few years ago an told them that if they would make a higher FQ. detector say 12 or 14 kh. I would buy one. could never figure why they don't. I had a 1280x for a while. was a fairly good machine. like the headhunters, decent depth but not a depth demon. I know that 2.5 kh will find gold but not as good as a higher fq.

I've found both the HH Underwater and Wader to do OK. The Tesoro Tigershark has a sharper discrimination cut off than the Detector Pro Head Hunter units do and it makes for less iron digging with the Tigershark than with the Detector Pro vlf units I've used. I still have the Underwater with the big coil and a Wader ... just not using them much now. Something about the Tigershark quack that sometimes when using it, I find myself quacking to myself and just have to stop for a minute and laugh, then get my concentration back into listening and not quacking.

I have not tried the Simplex yet, but from what I've been reading, it might be something to look into.

I've found both the HH Underwater and Wader to do OK. The Tesoro Tigershark has a sharper discrimination cut off than the Detector Pro Head Hunter units do and it makes for less iron digging with the Tigershark than with the Detector Pro vlf units I've used. I still have the Underwater with the big coil and a Wader ... just not using them much now. Something about the Tigershark quack that sometimes when using it, I find myself quacking to myself and just have to stop for a minute and laugh, then get my concentration back into listening and not quacking.

I have not tried the Simplex yet, but from what I've been reading, it might be something to look into.
I have used my tiger shark for 18 years. no problems except I had to replace the coil twice, of course that was when tesero was still in business. well in the last two weeks the control box has leaked.im not sure but it looks like the face plate may be a little warped. I would replace the face plate if I new where I could get one. I to like the way the shark ids iron. I really would hate to give up the detector because I couldn't get it fixed.

I have used my tiger shark for 18 years. no problems except I had to replace the coil twice, of course that was when tesero was still in business. well in the last two weeks the control box has leaked.im not sure but it looks like the face plate may be a little warped. I would replace the face plate if I new where I could get one. I to like the way the shark ids iron. I really would hate to give up the detector because I couldn't get it fixed.
Don't know if he can help but try Keith Wills brokendetector in Texas. I understand he sometimes get very backed up with work, but he might be able to help.

Dosn't know if he can help but try Keith Wills brokendetector in Texas. I understand he sometimes get very backed up with work, but he might be able to help.
Yes. hes in our club. lives 20 miles from me. friend of mine. I may let him look at it. But my 28 years of detecting, ive found when a water machine starts leaking. it goes down hill from there. Keith has fixed a few land machines for me an they did fine. I bought a mx sport used a year ago from last march. it had 5 months left on the warranty. I used it all last summer in fresh water. worked fine. the third time out this year, which was about two weeks ago, it leaked. I was able to dry it out an it still works find but know I can only use it on land. I will not spend the money to have it so called waterproofed again. I also have a multi kruzer which I said I would never use in the water. but know ill have to use it. took it out yesterday an it work fine in the water, but I hate to use it in the water. cause the truth is it will leak at some point. may be three or four years down the road, but it will at some point. I bought a new CZ20 in 2002. I used it two years, but the third summer it leaked where the coil goes into the box. sent it in to be fixed. the warranty had just when out. cost me around a hundred dollars. I got it back, and the third time I went in the water it shut down again I took it to Keith. It had leaked so bad it had about three tablespoons of water in it. completely burned out the circuit board Keith sent it back to fisher, they wanted almost four hundred dollars to replace the circuit board. well I didn't pay it. told them they needed to make it right. after six months of me bugging them they sent me a used one off the shelf. well I turned around an traded it for a troy x5. sorry for my rambling, but you would thank that someone could come up with a better way to waterproof detectors.

Yes. hes in our club. lives 20 miles from me. friend of mine. I may let him look at it. But my 28 years of detecting, ive found when a water machine starts leaking. it goes down hill from there. Keith has fixed a few land machines for me an they did fine. I bought a mx sport used a year ago from last march. it had 5 months left on the warranty. I used it all last summer in fresh water. worked fine. the third time out this year, which was about two weeks ago, it leaked. I was able to dry it out an it still works find but know I can only use it on land. I will not spend the money to have it so called waterproofed again. I also have a multi kruzer which I said I would never use in the water. but know ill have to use it. took it out yesterday an it work fine in the water, but I hate to use it in the water. cause the truth is it will leak at some point. may be three or four years down the road, but it will at some point. I bought a new CZ20 in 2002. I used it two years, but the third summer it leaked where the coil goes into the box. sent it in to be fixed. the warranty had just when out. cost me around a hundred dollars. I got it back, and the third time I went in the water it shut down again I took it to Keith. It had leaked so bad it had about three tablespoons of water in it. completely burned out the circuit board Keith sent it back to fisher, they wanted almost four hundred dollars to replace the circuit board. well I didn't pay it. told them they needed to make it right. after six months of me bugging them they sent me a used one off the shelf. well I turned around an traded it for a troy x5. sorry for my rambling, but you would thank that someone could come up with a better way to waterproof detectors.
Lot of bad luck with leaks there. My CZ20 was bought used in about 2006 and worked fine up until a little under a year ago when it would no longer ground balance and lost depth. The CZ20 had the pinpoint button removed and the hole sealed so as to prevent a known leak point from developing a leak. It does not seem to have leaked.
I've had a couple battery pods leak for the Excal, but not the electronic's tubes; but they get new O rings periodically. Sand Shark and Tiger Shark have not leaked, but don't get used much in the last few years.
Hope you have better luck going forward with respect to water proof detectors.

I only fresh water hunt. just wondering if anyone use, or have used the headhunder underwater detector for freshwater hunting an if so whats your thougths on it? Ive been using a tiger shark for 18 years, an know that tesero is out of business, I thought I would try to find a good used headhunter underwater or a wader as a backup.
If you didnt like the Pirate, you probably wont like the Pirate Pro or Underwater. They are all basically the same detector, with the only difference being that the Pirate has rhe sensitivity set near max at the factory and is non-adjustable, where the Pirate Pro, Wader and Underwater all have adjustable sensitivity. The Underwater is submersible where the other models are rated for rain and dropping into water only. All that being said, I think they are great units, simple, lightweight and effective. I have found alot of rings and coins with the Pirate Pro and Underwater. They are beep dig detectors, but round objects have a different sound. Definitely a nuance to them. Detectorpro is no longer in business though if that is a factor for you. Good luck!

If you didnt like the Pirate, you probably wont like the Pirate Pro or Underwater. They are all basically the same detector, with the only difference being that the Pirate has rhe sensitivity set near max at the factory and is non-adjustable, where the Pirate Pro, Wader and Underwater all have adjustable sensitivity. The Underwater is submersible where the other models are rated for rain and dropping into water only. All that being said, I think they are great units, simple, lightweight and effective. I have found alot of rings and coins with the Pirate Pro and Underwater. They are beep dig detectors, but round objects have a different sound. Definitely a nuance to them. Detectorpro is no longer in business though if that is a factor for you. Good luck!
thanks for the info. The main reason I didn't like the pirate was because of the preset sensitivity. may try to find another headhunter an try it again. thanks again. H.H.

Thanks for the reply. I had a pirate [not the pro] for a while. only used it twice, did not like it. do you know anything about the pirate pro an the wader? I haven't heard any talk about detector pro company lately I guess their still in business. I called detector pro a few years ago an told them that if they would make a higher FQ. detector say 12 or 14 kh. I would buy one. could never figure why they don't. I had a 1280x for a while. was a fairly good machine. like the headhunters, decent depth but not a depth demon. I know that 2.5 kh will find gold but not as good as a higher fq.
The reason why they have a low frequency is because that's what works in salt water. The lower freqs aren't effected by the Salinity as much as the higher freq.