Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about the new gps units for cars

ralphiejc

do the new gps units come with a cd for local street info like my older street pilot and etrex or are they totally loaded from the factory??Ralph

The newer ones have all the info pre-loaded. My wife has a Garmin Nuvi 350 and it has the U.S. and Canada all in there. You can check to see exactly what coverage comes with which unit on Garmin's website.

Some are preloaded with base maps, some are on a SD card and the card must be in the unit to perform. But a lot of the new ones with preloaded maps only have enough information on the major hiways, with little showing for country roads. I posted on one link here of a new one I found that I like called the Lowrance XOG . This one even has historical and some faint topo features built in on the base map. But, one can download from the site addtional maps which look very good for topo maps at a reasonable price . I live in a National Forest area and this unit even has the forest roads showing . It can also play MPG files and show pictures on a SD card. I havent got into the voice part yet but I think it can give turn by turn directions in voice . I am still in the research part of trying this one out ,but check it out . Seems to be pretty good for under $200