Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about the Tiger Shark and salt mode

johnwon

I just got a new Tiger Shark this past week and hit the beach this weekend. We live on the Atlantic - this seemed to be the best choice for both parks and the salt beaches. On the beach, I set the ground balance so that it keeps the same hum as I lower it from about 12". When in Discriminate mode (set on 2-3), I'll get a faint beep that's barely repeatable - I switch to All Metals mode so that I can pinpoint the metal and the hum seems to go lower or stop when I get over the spot where it beeped. It does this every time the detector passes the spot (I'm in salt mode, the sand is wet, but I'm not in the actual water). I'd expect the detector to beep as it did when I did the table testing or ran it in my back yard. The only time it actually beeps is when I find a large target (matchbox cars, tent stakes, bottle tops). So far, I've only had a couple hours to play with it on the beach, but was wondering if I should dig if the hum drops or stops as I move the detector or wait until I find areas where the tone raises and it beeps.

I thought about taking some coins to the beach and burying them to test with so that I can learn the sounds and how it reacts to each better. The detector also seems to be very unstable in salt mode. If I bump the sand with the coil, it beeps - in Normal mode, it didn't do this.

Any insight or thoughts would be very helpful - Our local detector club is a Minelab Explorer club, so they wouldn't really be able to help me with these questions I don't think.

Thanks,
John

John, I get my TS today. I will be doing some extensive testing with it on the salt water beach and will be reporting what i find here. I seem to get mix results from diffrent people about the machine. People that live close by the salt water beaches and use only the TS say its great. People that live inland that are far from salt water say it has problems.

I am one of the inland guys, and I had nothing but problems with it in salt. It is an awesome machine in the fresh water though. My new Excal 2 came in last week if that is any indication of what I will be using down there this year... HH Joe