Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about the weight of an Explorer SE Pro

INVASCdigger

I used to own an Explorer XS, and I really liked it, but it became so heavy to use that I ended up selling it. I'm 65 and still pretty fit, but I just don't have the strength that I had years ago, and using a nearly 5 pound machine really takes a toll on my arm. I even used a "Swingy Thingy" for a while, and it helped, but I didn't like being tethered to the machine. Anyways, my question has to do with the Explorer SE Pro. According to the comparison chart on Kellyco's web site, the SE Pro is almost 1 pound lighter than the E-Trac. I'm inclined to get one if the weight is really 4 pounds (even though I've heard that the SE Pro has been discontinued by Minelab). I'm pretty sure that I could handle that for a few hours, and I really do miss the performance of my Explorer XS. Minelab really has some great technology, but I wish that they'd try to build their machines to be lighter in weight. I'm sure that there are materials that they could use that could further reduce the overall weight. I've never used an SE Pro and would like to know if the setup and field use is pretty much the same as the Explorer XS? Has anyone done a comparison between the E-trac and the SE Pro to see how the depth capabilities compare? I look forward to hearing comments and suggestions. Thank you!

I dont want to discourage anyone interested in this excellent machine. Properly learned its as deep as an Etrac.... little more jumpy TID at extreme depth..... but its has a unique tone to silver. You may have already answered you own question in your first sentence especially having tried the swingy thingy. There is just no way to really reduce the weight of these machines.... you may however change the balance a bit by extenting or reducing the length of shaft. There is as you say 1 lb difference between the Etrac and SE but.... how much did the Exp XS weigh? Tuff choice on a good machine.

Dew

I have the SE with pro coil and one of the first things I noticed is that it IS lighter. No shoulder or arm fatigue
as with my EX 2. I think you will like SE Pro.with new features....

Thanks Dew & Ralph. I went ahead and ordered my SE Pro today. I'm glad to know that the SE Pro DOES feel a little lighter than the older Explorers. I appreciate that comment, Ralph. I know that Minelab has discontinued the Explorers, but I think that it will still be a winner for years to come. Can't wait to get it!

INVASCdigger

Dew the weight chart on Kellyco has to be incorrect. They list the SE as 4lb. Mine weighs around 4lb 2 oz with battery pack. Now I don't have an ETrac to weigh but .... Minelab on their site says the ETrac is lighter than the SE. Check this post.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?10,1791094

Their weights are without battery, SE 3.7 lb and ETrac 3.5 lb. ?????? The battery is 8 oz. That would make the ETrac 4lb and the SE 4lb 3 oz.

So which is correct?

While Dew is right on in every way as always, I would point to a factor he overlooked in coil choice. Here is a variable that changes both ergonomic and real weight. Of course it alters depth and discrim too. I find changing machines or changing coil weight can boost my hunt time while reducing arm/shoulder fatigue. I start with the Pro coil or maybe the WOT then shift to X-5 (x-terra class unit would be great as well, but more expensive:clapping:) when I start to tire. Just a thought. Maybe its too obvious to need stating.
Tom