Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about threshold settings

whadda

what does the threshold do for your detector? does it affect sensitivity? or does it just give you an idea that the detector is working?
cheers Roger

I THINK it is the sound u hear when the detetctor is
operating. According to Mr Garrett it has an effect on
the ability of the detetctor to find stuff. Im so new
I have no idea if its true or not.
im sure the folks with experience will give you
the right answer

Ron
Rangers
Lead
The
Way

whadda said:
what does the threshold do for your detector? does it affect sensitivity? or does it just give you an idea that the detector is working?
cheers Roger
Both.
In the old days, listening to the threshold was actually informative. Small surges in the threshold could indicate deep items that didnt trigger an audio response.
Or, it would null over iron or rejected targets. THAT was nice.
Boosting the threshold on some detectors could also give you clearer responses to deep targets while in DISC mode. The Tesoro's still work that way.

Todays digital and software driven processors simply don't use it, or else they mis-label it. They can do in programming far more than the human ear can do. Well, that is the concept, anyway.

In theory, the threshold should be able to indicate deep targets, those just barely coming in over the threshold tone.
In practice, it doesn't really work out that way. On the Garrett's that have it, it is just a tone humming along. I find it comforting and I still hope that I will hit something really deep; something that will just barey buzz through over the threshold audio - but it doesn't happen.

I suspect Garrett clings to it because Charles is "old school" and likes it.

I can remember my grand father talking about it a little when I was a kid but, never listened to well, he had an old ground hog and a deep seeker,

On yestersays detectors it meant a lot. On todays detectors it establishes the audio for all metal and pinpoint and also lets you know your beeper is still on and working. On some machines it helps to amplify deep targets but all high end Garretts have faint target audio boost so it does nothing for that.

Bill

Uncle Willy said:
On yestersays detectors it meant a lot. On todays detectors, it establishes the audio for all metal and pinpoint and also lets you know your beeper is still on and working. On some machines it helps to amplify deep targets but all high end Garretts have faint target audio boost so it does nothing for that.

Bill
That is something I forgot about. Good reminder, and it explains why I noticed a reduced amplitude in the pinpoint mode...

On my Scropion in all metal if you turn the threshold down not far past silent, it will effect the sensitivity of the machine. I mean like NOT being able to detect an item you could with the threshold up to just about silent.

Same as on my GTI 2500 in all metal but not as drastic until it is way low on the threshold setting.

it is just useless in disc mode.

Alan

Yeah since it's a gold machine it is threshold based to detect the teeny weenies. I would run it at a faint hum at least. Have you found any nuggies with it yet?

Bill

No nuggies yet Bill..only been out once away from home as per all the stinkin rain. I did find the Gold Hill Pocket Gold Mine and was about to pull the Stinger out..and heard a atv coming my way cause I knew they saw me cause i was trespassing:surrender: and I scooted out of there, :angel:but I was also on BLM land but the line if iffy and they seem to not like me using there road to get there. Big cut that was, can see it from Google earth...man i was right on top of it and couldnt use the detector.

Did go to the Rouge river and hunted alot of bedrock and got alot of lead pressed into the cracks. If gold was there I would have got it. Fun to use the Scorpion though. I think Ill head back to California on my next hunt. Sending the Infinium in the fix the coil plug as I messed it up on a tumble the Infinium had down about 30 feet. It still works, just coil plug is a little out of shape and I figured get it fixed before it gets worse.

Alan

I find it difficult to believe that anybody would have to question the usefullness of the threshold tone, so much so infact, that I will not lower myself to answering this question. Sheeesh!!?? now I have heard everything. USE your detector and figure it out for yourself. Bloody Newbies, buy some detecting books and do some reading or something.

Adrian SS (Grumpy Ole Bugger)

bearkat4160 said:
No nuggies yet Bill..only been out once away from home as per all the stinkin rain. I did find the Gold Hill Pocket Gold Mine and was about to pull the Stinger out..and heard a atv coming my way cause I knew they saw me cause i was trespassing:surrender: and I scooted out of there, :angel:but I was also on BLM land but the line if iffy and they seem to not like me using there road to get there.
Alan
Yeah, you gotta watch it out there. My son is in Bend, OR and tells me about some of the folks that live outtaways.
Meth labbers, pot growers, survivalists, neo-militia types and so on. Not to mention ranchers and more "regular type" isolationists.
Be careful, Alan

i DO hope thsi is sarcasm.. if NOT then GEESHHH back to you.

I guess when you were new you knew it all right away!!!

Im new and Ill keep asking questions but dont lower
yourslef to trying to answer them..or maybe you cant ????

Ron

Rangers Lead the Way

Yep Dahut it is all true about the peeps in the woods. I came accross mex mafia pot growers and luckily snuck out of there last year in California just over the border. Its is definatly NOT the same as walking around the woods back in Georgia which I felt fairly safe there. Got to be on your P's and Q's out here. And dont forget about the bears, lions, dogs and snakes also. But, makes it for an exciting hunt that is for sure especially going deep looking for gold or old gold mines.

Alan

Ease up there Adrian, new Ace users dont have all the bling as a more expensive detectors and are curious about those features on more expensive machines. Just go grab that Infinium of yours and get some nuggy's my friend, always puts one in better mood.

Alan

to be honest you grumpy old pric I have some books coming but they are still weeks away , I have been detecting with my new machine and was wandering the importance of it,, the gentlemen on here like uncle willy, dahut and the others are only to happy help,and besides a book can only tell you so much,,the experience of these guys goes way past what a book can tell you,,and if it wasn't for us newbies your hobby is going to die..... ( this is not going to stop me posting my so called stupid questions)

Adrian SS said:
I find it difficult to believe that anybody would have to question the usefullness of the threshold tone, so much so infact, that I will not lower myself to answering this question. Sheeesh!!?? now I have heard everything. USE your detector and figure it out for yourself. Bloody Newbies, buy some detecting books and do some reading or something.

Adrian SS (Grumpy Ole Bugger)

G/day oldranger n Alan,

Yeah I was being a bit sarcastic,
I guess after 47 years of detecting and having worked my way through 30 + detectors I now take a lot for granted and you are quite right, I was a newbie once....... But even then it only took about 10 SECONDS to figure out the benefits of having a threshold tone. HE,HE,HE, Bugger, there I go again!
It has to be a True Signal Threshold and not just an audio background with no relationship to the target signal

In All Metal mode if you run with no threshold you WILL MISS weak signals from small or deep targets which could mean the difference between finding or not finding a nice nugget or cache Relic or diamond ring etc.

The threshold will help you identify hot Rocks in All Metal Zero Disc or (for older machines TR) mode by listening for the dip in the tone that these items cause. Iron meteorites will cause a lowering of the threshold, so if you are looking for irons and stony irons and you do not have a threshold you will not find many meteorites

In the Disc mode the threshold tone will allow you to identify small ferrous items by producing a dip in the tone when you are running just above zero disc.
This is just a couple of reasons for having a threshold

If you cannot hear the threshold then you will be loosing a lot of target identifying capability.

well why couldn't you have just said that in the first place,,, I use a GTP 1350 and I was wandering if it was just an audio or did it play a part in the sensitivity, it was a simply question not meant to get you a bit rilled up

Those last couple of posts are a bit out of character for me so don't pay much attention to the grumpyness, I just had a bad week is all.
Once having writ it stays writ but I apologise for the narkyness.
Adrian SS