Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question about topo mapping/accuracy

Boattow

Hi,
I am having some problems and not really sure what is going on and hope someone here can help me understand what is wrong and how to work around it.

I use a Magellan Meridian color GPS with Mapsend topo software. I have noticed some inaccuracies but not really sure where it is coming from. I hunt KGC treasure. In a couple cases, I have utilized information from symbols on trees to come up with a location to investigate. I utilize topozone and National Geographic topographic software to find the coordinates to put in the GPS as a waypoint to investigate. It seems that the point is not where it really should be. I know that the GPS is WAAS enabled and should be quite accurate however, I am wondering if there are inaccuracies with the topo map in relation to the actual position. (I hope I'm being clear) I've noticed for example that when I'm at my house, the point shows on the GPS map to be a fair amount south of the road where a field is, not my street or house (the GPS shows the point in the field south of my house, not on top of the house). I also have Delorme earthmate on my laptop and will notice how the arrow will veer off the road, back and forth, as well as the GPS does. It makes me think that the topo maps are inaccurate.

This past weekend I had found a coordinate via both topozone and National Geographic Topo software (they both match on the coordinates given) and put it in the GPS. This point is along a creek that is running east/west at that point and I should be on the south side of it. The GPS indicated that the point was a fair amount north of the creek (on the other side of the creek) which doesn't make sense. I know that creeks move over time but this is a very deep creek and this would have been an excessive amount of change which just seems unlikely.

As an experiment, tonight I turned on the GPS and got a coordinate. I put it into topozone and it seemed to put the position where I would have expected. I'm just confused on what is accurate and what is not. Can I go to topozone, get a coordinate based on a position found on the topomap, put it in the gps, let the gps show me the way, and be sure that it put me on the correct point in relation to the map? If so, did the creek really shift 75feet from where the topo map says it is at?

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and a suggestion on how to deal with it? Thanks for any help!
Boattow

IF you have a good, unobstructed GPS lock
IF the map you are referring to is using the same datum as the GPS receiver is set to
and you are experiencing discrepancies
99 out of the 100 the map is in error.