Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question about Vaquero knob

hatpin

My Vaquero's GB knob is loose . It wiggles a bit . None of the others do . The set screw is tight . The unit falses a lot and i think its because of the knob . Anyone else ever have this problem ?

Is it the knob loose or does the whole pot wiggle?
Either way easy fix. On the side of the knob is a very small set screw you can use to remove the knob. Loosen it and the knob will slide off. There will be a mark on the shaft of the pot where the set screw held and you can use that when reinstalling the knob later by aligning that mark to the screw on the knob there. I recommend turning the knob before so the screw is in an easily accessible area to loosen the screw and tighten it later.
Then you can check if the pot is loose by wiggling themetal shaft when the k on is off.
If so there's a flat nut there that holds the pot to the faceplate. To tighten it you I'll need to unscrew the faceplate and hold the body of the pot on the inside of the faceplate and tighten the nut.
Then you can reassemble it.
Remove the battery before you start, after battery is removed turn on the detector to expel any electricity in the board and components.

Also on a side note you can use the knob removal method alone to reset your disc knob where you want it.

I.e. remove the knob and right where a nickel falls out you can reinstall the knob so it's pointing at the 5c line.

But a warning by foing this you will have to relearn the rest of the lines because whichever way you shift the knob it shifts everything.

Hope this helps!!
Happy hunting!!!

What could be causing the falsing is that some of the pots are grounded with a wire that has a ring clamped to it an it goes on the pot around the shaft before I stalling into the faceplate. I haven't been inside my vaq in a while but if the pot is loose on the faceplate and it has that grounding ring then the connections on the loose pot could cause the falsing.
Not sure but either way if you tighten it and do as said above you've done all you can without sending it in to Tesoro :)

Sadly if it doesn't fix the issue I don't recommend going any further and I would just send it in because a component has gone bad.

The outside nut is tight . The inside should be tight . I removed the face plate and I dont have a wrench skinny enough to get in there . The knob has some play . I'll have to send it in again .Good thing theres a lifetime warranty . This will be the third time in three years I has to send the unit in .

The outside nut is tight . The inside should be tight . I removed the face plate and I dont have a wrench skinny enough to get in there . The knob has some play . I'll have to send it in again .Good thing theres a lifetime warranty . This will be the third time in five years I has to send the unit in .

Sounds like the potentiometer is just very well worn. As long as you're covered by the warranty, just ask Tesoro to replace it.
I bought a used eBay Tesoro described as excellent, and ground balance jumped all over with a touch of the knob. Sent it back to the seller.

Bought my favorite Bandido II μMAX used as well, and while the pot didn't feel loose, the GB would jump, from a slightly positive setting to quite negaive, with a tiny turn. I replaced that pot with a 10 turn, but it barely fit inside. Works GREAT now, though.

All you need is a wrench to fit the outside nut after removing the knob.
You can just hold onto the body of the pot from the inside.