Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question - ATX and Bad Mineralization

Shayne

I am a military service member and I recently moved to Mainland Japan. I have been detecting for about 15 Years and owned only Minelab detectors; Explorer, Explorer XS, Explorer II, E-Trac and now the CTX3030. In Virginia, the CTX was a great land and dry sand machine, but didn't like the salt water very much. Nevertheless, I was able to make it work. Back to Japan - CTX3030 arrived a month or so ago in my household goods shipment. I shipped it in an SKB Case with custom cut foam to protect it - so I know its working properly. About a week ago, I took it out and ran down to the beach for a spin. In Auto - dry sand - my sensitivity would not go above 9 without tons of noise. In manual, I was able to squeeze out about 15. At the end of the trip, I was frustrated because the CTX3030 was not performing well at all - even considered that it may be damaged. The next day, I went to a local park on-base. The CTX performed better and found lots of coins, but again depth was limited to 3-4 inches, sensitivity was about 20-23 and and it was still a little chatty. Of particular note, I brought the Minelab Pro-find 25 pinpointer and my Garrett pinpointer. The ground was not wet, but it was a little damp due to rain from two days earlier. If I touched the ground with either of the pinpointers - anywhere in the park or at the beach - they would chirp. All of this leads me to believe that I may be sitting on possibly the most mineralized soil on the planet.

So - although my detecting experience has been exclusively limited to Minelab's multi-frequency detectors with VID target screens, I am wondering how the ATX does in a beach environment where there is HIGHLY mineralized soil. Also interested in any other recommendations. Price is not really a limiting factor - quality and dependability are. Thanks from the "Land of the Rising Sun," and apparently the impenetrable soil! Also posting this in the CTX3030 forum and the Beach/Water forum...

Before I bought my ATX I went to you tube and found out that the ATX work very well in Highly Mineralization soil The CTX 3030 is not made for HOT SOIL. I have dug ring in salt water as deep as 18" So good luck and Thank You for your Service !t Ron Lord

Hi Shayne,

I live in Southern California and have detected most beaches here with my ATX. SoCal is known for it's highly mineralized wet sand and saltwater. Every beach that I have used the ATX on, except for Long Beach, CA, I can run the ATX with 12 or max sensitivity with very little ground balance, it is very stable, and runs whisper quiet. To run the ATX quiet at some of the super mineralized areas of Long Beach, I have the sensitivity between 10-12 out of the 13 max, with a fairly good ground balance, and it still goes deeper then I care to scoop.

I have seen many guys working a CTX's in the wet sand by Huntington Beach Pier and I can scan in their wake and find the deeper items they left behind. So my thinking is they have had to detune their machine to run stable and they lose a lot of depth.

I can't believe that Japan could have any higher mineralized wet sand and saltwater then some parts of Hawaii that I've heard the ATX works well at.

If you don't mind swinging a heavy beast and scooping very deep, I say go for an ATX.

Thanks for the information - I am just about committed, but I have to admit - never using a PI machine before and relying rather heavily on my CTX3030 VDI, I hope the transition to a machine that provides audio feedback only will be an easy one!

Shayne said:
Thanks for the information - I am just about committed, but I have to admit - never using a PI machine before and relying rather heavily on my CTX3030 VDI, I hope the transition to a machine that provides audio feedback only will be an easy one!

Hi Again Shayne,

Don't discount the visual feedback information that you get from the Signal Strength Indicator on the ATX. It really helps you visualize what you are hearing to help you determine, with experience, what depth, size, and density that the item may be. When the Signal Strength Indicator bounces between the first and second LED out of the 13 LEDs, and if I don't retrieve a very small item in the first scoop or two, and if the LED indicator remains consistant between the first and second LED after a couple of quick scoops, I know that I'm going deep. If I don't find the item within 16" depth, I know it's size is larger/denser then a ring or coin. If I keep scooping, I usually find a 2-4 ounce lead sinker, bolt, chunk of iron, or parts of an aluminum can at 20"+. So now, I don't scoop items over 16" deep. Not only because it's a lot of work scooping deep, but because the sand caves in faster then you can scoop in the wet sand and water trying to scoop over 16", and it's a killer.

SoCalBeachScanner said:
Shayne said:

Hi Again Shayne,

Don't discount the visual feedback information that you get from the Signal Strength Indicator on the ATX. It really helps you visualize what you are hearing to help you determine, with experience, what depth, size, and density that the item may be. When the Signal Strength Indicator bounces between the first and second LED out of the 13 LEDs, and if I don't retrieve a very small item in the first scoop or two, and if the LED indicator remains consistant between the first and second LED after a couple of quick scoops, I know that I'm going deep. If I don't find the item within 16" depth, I know it's size is larger/denser then a ring or coin. If I keep scooping, I usually find a 2-4 ounce lead sinker, bolt, chunk of iron, or parts of an aluminum can at 20"+. So now, I don't scoop items over 16" deep. Not only because it's a lot of work scooping deep, but because the sand caves in faster then you can scoop in the wet sand and water trying to scoop over 16", and it's a killer.

Thanks again for taking the time to educate me on the PI technology. I have been watching a number of YouTube videos on the ATX and I like what I see. I once used a friends Garrett AtPro relic hunting in VA - other than the overwhelming cheap feeling I got from the ergonomics associated with the detector, I was amazed at its simplicity, stability in VA soil, sensitivity to small targets and the depth. If that detector felt a little more solid in terms of design and the screen setup was upgraded to look better than a Radio Shack detector, I would have probably bought one. I do own a Garrett pinpointer that I like better than my nearly $200 Minelab ProFind 25 pinpointer. Perhaps its time for a change - can you recommend a vendor that offers a good price on the Standard pack. Also interested in the 8" mono coil. Given the harsh mineralization here, I don't think the 20" mono coil included with the DeepSeeker package will fare well here. Shayne

Hey Shayne,

I have an AT Pro along with my ATX. I really like the AT Pro and it has paid for itself over three times since last summer. I always run it wide open without a ground balance, it never gives false signals, I scrub down in the sand with it and find items very deep, although I have worn out several coil covers with my style of detecting. I like the fact that it only weighs 3.5 pounds. Even though it's light weight, it feels solid to me, but Garrett could have put a more modern lighted color display on it to take it out of the 80's electronic look.

The stock DD coil on the ATX is all you will ever need for the wet sand and water. The 8" Mono will not go as deep, you can't use the Iron Check feature with it, and it's $500.00 because you need to purchase the integrated telescopic shaft with it. Not money well spent for the beach and shallow water. The 8" Mono It may be a good investment for the bush or scanning tight areas between rocks when prospecting or relic hunting.

On the standard ATX package, you should be able to work a deal with one of the supporting vendors on this site or TNet for just under Two Grand delivered here in the states. You may need to have someone here in the states purchase it for you and forward it on to you. You can check with the vendors about shipping to Japan. Also, a few used ATX's have been popping up MD Forums on occasion. Good luck to you.