Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for all...

Steve In Michigan

My main detector is the GTI 2500. Have had it forever and it still works great!! But was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the AT Max? I think they have the same depth capacity. Your thoughts??

My main detector is the GTI 2500. Have had it forever and it still works great!! But was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to the AT Max? I think they have the same depth capacity. Your thoughts??
My thoughts having owned and used a GTI-2500 in the past. A lot will depend on what type of detecting you like to do and the kind of trash you'll generally encounter. In my opinion, I feel the AT MAX and Apex are both more modern upgrades with all-around improved performance than the GTI-2500. This especially includes hunting in dense Iron Nail contaminated places. Every make and model detector will have a weakness or two, but overall I have enjoyed the performance of a borrowed AT MAX as well as my current trio of Apex devices much more than I did the GTI-2500. Part of my preferences are also based on the detector's lighter weight and comfortable balance for my crappy health and impaired mobility. Both the AT MAX and Apex units also provided much better unmasking in ferrous debris, as well as better / quicker response-and-recovery for separation.

Of course these are just my opinions based on experience, but we have come a log way in detector design from the GTI-2500 that I had twenty years ago, and I am an avid detectorist and while I still maintain two more dated detectors in my outfit, I try to stay on-top of the modern TID offerings as long as they provide ample in-the-field performance and useful newer features, such as Iron Audio Volume, etc.

In the end it gets down to the individual's choice so it's up to you.

Monte

I have a gti 2500 and like Monte says , there are lighter and more apt detectors on the market that will hunt better in most situations. I use the gti in not so trashy , open field areas all Metal mode and it gets the job done . As far as parks go , the 91/2 imaging coil is too big for those areas as it picks up everything . Would of liked a 6” imaging coil but alas it was not meant to be . It’s a classic in the sense that no other detector has come out with imaging or the talking lady , and for that reason I won’t sell mine even if I don’t use it as much . My 2 cents.

I have a gti 2500 and like Monte says , there are lighter and more apt detectors on the market that will hunt better in most situations. I use the gti in not so trashy , open field areas all Metal mode and it gets the job done . As far as parks go , the 91/2 imaging coil is too big for those areas as it picks up everything . Would of liked a 6” imaging coil but alas it was not meant to be . It’s a classic in the sense that no other detector has come out with imaging or the talking lady , and for that reason I won’t sell mine even if I don’t use it as much . My 2 cents.
I never cared for the babbling gal's voice, and I did wish theye made a good 6" or 7" Concentric coil. The GTI-2500 definitely doesn't handle dense ferrous debris well, and it n the heavier side. I much prefer my Garrett Apex units with their three assigned coils. You did mention one search option you have that Apex users don't, and that is the ability to select an All Metal mode. I wish the Apex had a Threshold-Base All Metal option, even though I wouldn't use it as much as a Discriminate mode. It would just be nice to have.

The GTI-2500 was a unique model in the detector industry that hasn't been copied, and if it works well for you in selected applications, that's good. :thumbup:

Monte