Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Excalibur users

Schrecky

I got a new Excalibur 1000 last week. I've been told by others that this is normal, is it?

When I swing the coil over a trash (most likely iron) target the threshold nulls and then a very LOUD low tone sounds. This tone does not go away unless I move the coil near my scoop, or switch to pin point and back. The problem is that there is a lot of trash in the areas I hunt, even on the local beach there are quite a few small nails. On most swings I'm passing over stuff. This loud low tone is there most of the time regardless how slow I swing or what settings I'm using. Several experienced users and Minelab says this is normal. What is the sense in setting the threshold at a low level to hear deep small targets when the threshold is blasting most of the time in trash areas?? Am I missing something?

Re: False sounds????
Posted by: Gulf Hunter <Send a PM> (IP Logged)
Date: Today, 08:34AM

Well, try this 11-12 Sensitivity, never Auto. Run in Disc. I have checked weak signals in Disc, that could not be heard in Pinpoint! Mine usually stays on 11. Turn Threshold to barely audible and then down to no longer audible. If the Threshold tone comes back over the headphones, then you may still be set too high. Investigate any signal you can get tone on and be sure to check it 360 degrees. Signal strength can increase at different angles. I assure you, that if you go over a non-ferrous target, you will get a read, unless it is too deep. Leave Discrimination on 1 and never move it, that is if you like gold! If this does not work, you have issues with the unit, more than likely. Send it to Vegas for a checkout. Are you wetsanding or water hunting? Are you hip mounted or stem mounted? Are you still in warranty? Lemme know. Send me a PM if you like for further counsil. GH

Sounds like this is normal as the Excalibur is a waterproof Sovereign. With the Sovereign it will keep the tone of the last target until it sees a different target and then the threshold tone will change to that target. Now the Sovereign will null on most small iron and come back with a low tone, almost a growl sound. In most cases this tone you will hear more than any other tones as it seems to null more than anything else. Just go slow and listen to when it changes tones and being a beach hunter you want gold, so you just have to dig all positive signals that will be repeatable and higher tone than this low tone. If you go to fast you may miss a good tone in with these nulls and low tones.

Rick

This normal when going over a iron object. It will go silent for a moment to show object was rejected and the give you a low buzzing sound to tell you it was iron. It will stop and change tone when you hit next target. I just keep threshold down just where I can hear it. Like you I will pass my scoop by the coil if I don't want to hear it. Glad to see your got yourself a Excal 1000. It takes time to learn, but your going to love it.

Hi Schrecky, Like all the responders stated, this is the NORM for your situation, if you are going over alot of IRON Targets. You will have to try a different part of the beach, over even a grass lawn but make sure there are NO Overhead WIRES in the immediate area, and see if it doew the same thing. Last but not least, see if you can hook-up with an EXPERIENCED EXCAL user in your area, and find out if they are having the same problem. Possibly, there may be a shipwreck buried under that part of the beach, where there is ALOT OF IRON/STEEL
buried under the sand, and you may not be able to EFFECTIVELY HUNT in that area of the beach!! Follow these procedures, before you send it in to MINELAB Las Vegas to have it checked out. Best of luck, NamVetLesTreasureSeeker