Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Garrett GTA 500 Users

silverseeker 2

Out of all the 500 or 550 Garrett series detectors,
which gives best discrimination and has the best
sensitivity for hitting targets? These machines seem
to sell at a low price and would like to get one that
performs well for the grandkids. The GTA 500 I
picked up at a garage sale works fine but seems
to lack depth and is getting a trip to Garrett for
an evaluation of performance. What kind of depth
do these Garrett 500 machines get for you guys or gals
that have used them? Thanks for any replies. ...
Is this machine a good Coin shooter? Jewelery?
silverseeker2

I used to own a GTA 500. I bought it used and the LCD was going out on it. Sent it to Garrett and they installed a new display and once over. It performed quite a bit better as I recall. This was quite a few years ago. Anyway,I remember finding a barber half at 7" with a solid lock at 'half'. Not a depth demon,but a lot of features for the price. Some were hot and others not. Depends on how the ground balance was set by the factory. Most of my GTA garretts were set negative as they reacted to the empty hole with no metal in it after I removed the metallic item. A sure sign.
If you want better depth,I'd suggest a GTA 1000 Power Master or finding a hot Ultra 1000. I know they exist as a buddy of mine had one and he smoked me quite a bit until I found a suitable challenger of another brand.

Don't get the Ultra GTA 500. It lacks the Power Master Circuitry. However, the GTAx 500 and GTAx 550 are equal in depth and target ID. The 500 model is superior, as it lets you flip back and forth between discriminate mode and all metal mode. Aside from a little more depth with the Power Master Circuitry, they are very similar and great coin/jewelry finding detectors.

I didn't think the 500 or 550 got 'Power Master' circuitry. Only the 1995 GTA/X 1000,GTAX 750 and GTAX 1250 had it. Is your 500 a GTA or GTAX? They made both. The GTAX had the improved 'S' rod. The earlier series GTA tend to weaken and break where the rod connects from the arm cup to the hand grip.

The GTA 500Ultra came out first, then a second version came out with the Power Master circuit. I had the ultra version. It was my first real metal detector other then a Radio Shack machine that was next to being a toy.

Thanks for the Input you guys.Mine is the Gta 500 Ultra.
Like straker said I believe this machine is set negative
as it just lacks some in performance and that's why
she's taking a trip to Garrett for a check up. This machine
is brand new in the box. Seems like it discriminates a
hair lower compared to the icons on the screen. Gave
Garrett a call and have an RMA# to send it in. Will be
interesting to see if Garrett can give a little Boost in
performance. Seems like a decent detector but is
just lacking a little in performance. Again guys,
Thanks for the Input!!!
silverseeker2