Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Old School Analog White's Guys

Deese

I have read a very little about the whites analog machines,I was thinking of getting one but thought I should ask the experts. When does analog stop and digital begin in the models? Are there any better choices for modifying for additional depth? What are the models that I should look for? I mainly relic hunt,old coins as well. I try to hunt colonial and revolutionary era sites. Thanks Guys.

Or get the last version of the 5900 Di Pro SL (CB) composite board, big black control box,4 c cell battery system with manual ground balance. These detectors are the best of the best, And the latest and last in the line of their famous analoge detectors.

I have two of these detectors and use them a bunch, they are very deep detectors when tuned right (signal balance, and ground balance). I've hunted lately with an E-Trac owner and checked his iffy signals with my 5900 Di Pro SL (CB) and confirmed some signals with him. The E-Trac owner was impresses with my dinosaur detector, to say the least.

Randy

Hombre said:
Or get the last version of the 5900 Di Pro SL (CB) composite board, big black control box,4 c cell battery system with manual ground balance. These detectors are the best of the best, And the latest and last in the line of their famous analoge detectors.

I have two of these detectors and use them a bunch, they are very deep detectors when tuned right (signal balance, and ground balance). I've hunted lately with an E-Trac owner and checked his iffy signals with my 5900 Di Pro SL (CB) and confirmed some signals with him. The E-Trac owner was impresses with my dinosaur detector, to say the least.

Randy
I let a blue gray machine go that I saw in the pawn shop a couple months ago,I guess it would have been a good one.

I would go with the XL PRO, just can't say enough praise about this detector :clapping: . Pick Monte's mind anytime you get a chance. Better yet do a search for all of Monte's post. You'll learn all there is about the XL PRO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have seen a few XL PRO's listed on the Classified section of this forum............

Deese said:
I have read a very little about the whites analog machines,I was thinking of getting one but thought I should ask the experts.
There are good points and bad points to all makes and models, but I wouldn't look too far back in the White's line-up. Also, you didn't mention what detector(s) you presently use or have used, or the types of sites you work. I wouldn't consider any of the really dated White's models due to their weight and balance concerns and, because many called for a faster sweep speed and didn't handle trashy and brushy sites as well.

If you look at models they have offered in the more recent years that can provide very good performance, I can suggest the following:

In the moderate-to-fast sweep 4-filter type design, the 6000 Pro XL or renamed XL Pro is the best they ever made. :thumbup: If you want to look for something just a little older, then it could be the 6000 Di Pro SL with 'Auto-Trac' or the manually GB'ed 5900 Di Pro SL. In both cases I favor the 'CB' version which used the final production circuitry The Di Pro SL's used a slightly larger control housing and are powered by 4-C cell batteries, while the 6000 Pro XL and XL Pro have the smaller housing and the drop-in 8-AA battery tray. They all use the same 'Blue Max' series of search coils.

If you are looking for a 2-filter type model that provides a slow-motion with a quick-response and fast-recovery, consider the Classic III SL (no display) or the Classic ID or IDX Pro which each have a simple yet effective TID display. All three use the drop-in 8-AA battery tray and share the same search soils as the first White's models mentioned.

Deese said:
When does analog stop and digital begin in the models?
There were total analog types, and today we have some total digital models, but there have been some 'transition' models that were sort of an analog/digital blend, if you will. Of all the models White's has made, other than those I already listed, there is only one other that I could lump into that group and it is the XLT. I wouldn't be concerned about when one started and the other quit because it has been dependant upon specific model series. What is important is that you have a decent-working White's model that has proven itself through the years. Those mentioned can't be beat by anything from White's in the past, or even today in the minds of many.

Deese said:
Are there any better choices for modifying for additional depth?
Depth, that blasted question folks have asked about for years. :rant: Much of the time a decent detector is limited on "depth' achievement simply because the operator didn't use the best settings, used the wrong coil for the task, didn't use the most efficient sweep speed for the coil/settings/site, or especially because they expected to have a 100% reliable TID lock-on and failed to recover a questionable or iffy target.

I have three custom program I use in an XLT and especially one does quite well in ,most applications. I also usually use a smaller-than-stock with all of the above models, usually a 6