Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for Tabman and DeLeon Users

Rainyday101

This may sound like a stupid question, but can the Deleon keep up to the Tejon for silver coins in mild soil? The soil by me is sandy and very mild. I have my mind made up on a Tejon but then read the post by you guys on how deep that Deleon is with the 12 volts of double A batteries. Any advice is appreciated! I like the fact that the D can ID pulltabs.

I had the Tejon and (still have) the DeLeon. It really depends on what you want to try to find. I hunt coins (old and new) and jewellery, but dont go after relics all that much. The Tejon really is a very good relic machine, and is also very good on coins. The DeLeon goes plenty deep enough for me.....in the soils I dig, digging more than 8" is not a pleasurable exercise. The ID on the DeLeon is very good....takes a while to learn it properly, but when you do, if you dig any iron, then you are not using the information that the DeLeon gives. As to which one to buy, I cant really say for you.....I sold my Tejon because I had another Tesoro which basically does the same job, plus the DeLeon and a couple of other Tesoros. I still have 4. I dont miss the Tejon, because I just wasn't using it much....but that doesn't mean that you wont use yours if you buy one. Each of the detectors has features that the other does not have, so I guess what you need to decide is "what features do I want on the machine I buy".....they will both do a good job finding coins, but what else do you want to find, and where do you want to find it? e.g. the Tejon has manual ground balance, the DeLeon has a pre-set ground balance....which one will suit your needs best? Good luck with your choice, they are both very good detectors.

You're asking the wrong person, because it seems that I can't ever make up my mind. I owned the Deleon and sold it to get the Cortes. I like both a lot, but l like the Deleon more. The larger ID numbers is one of the reasons. I sold my Cortes and I'm in the market for another Deleon. The Deleon is a deep hitter in my mild soil and ID's targets super well. On high conductors like silver coins its deeper than the Tejon in my soil. Like Furious said, if you're digging iron you're not using the information the Deleon is giving you. As far as the Tejon goes, I like it better than the Vaquero and Cibola even though those as two great detectors. The Tejon having a tad more depth, a little faster recovery speed, 2 discriminators and a adjustable audio tone moved it out front. If I had to pick between the Deleon and Tejon for my particular soil, I'd pick both right now, because I'd need more time with each to make up my mind.

The thing about Tesoro detectors is that they all work great. It just depends on your particular need and likes.

tabman

Haven't compared my Deleon to the Tejon, but can tell you it is several inches deeper than the other umax models I've used. The TID is as good as any I've used and it works well in the soil I detect. It may not be the best choice in heavier mineralization due to the preset ground balance, but I have several other detectors with manual ground balance so I've got that covered if needed.
BB

n/t

You guys sure don't make the decision any easier! I called Tesoro and talked to them for about 20 minutes and then called Rusty the next day and talked to him for about 20 minutes. I have decided to get the Tejon first and get the 5" concentric coil with it.

Tesoro just amazes me how they can take that much time out of the day to talk to you about metal detecting. These guys have re-written the book on customer service. I asked about the Cazador and their lips are sealed. I was just told it was gonna be good! I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Looks like I will have to wait until next year to add the Deleon to my all Tesoro arsenal.

I think depth wise you've made a reasonable choice and once you get the double disc. set to suit, you may never miss TID. Good, used D's show up from time to time. That's how I bought mine so maybe you'll be able to add one sooner than you think..
BB

BarberBill said:
I think depth wise you've made a reasonable choice and once you get the double disc. set to suit, you may never miss TID. Good, used D's show up from time to time. That's how I bought mine so maybe you'll be able to add one sooner than you think..
BB

Thanks Bill, you are right about good used Deleons showing up from time to time. Eventually I have to nab one just to satisfy my curiosity.

For what it's worth, I made agood trade for my D even though I really thought I wanted a Cortez. Sort of a poor man's substitute. Turns out that in most areas I use it, the ground is not an issue and I've been quite pleased with it. Several years later, I did pick up a used Cortez and other than where I might want to hunt in ground balanced all metal, I don't see any improvement. The display does show a couple more things, but nothing that I needed on the D and the smaller display size is frustrating. I feel the D is one of the most fun detectors to use and I've found lots of targets with it as it tends to be the one I grab a good bit of the time.
BB

Tomorrow I am ordering the Tejon. I still want a Deleon, but that one will have to wait until next year.

My detecting arsenal will now be Tejon, Tiger Shark, and Silver uMax. Between these three I pretty much have my bases covered.