Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for TESORO users... Widescan OR Concentric ?

pinenut

I'm one of those Tesoro users who prefers their 5.75" coil size, and I prefer to use a concentric in most places. I like that my discrimination is more consistently accurate with a concentric, and that they pinpoint more easily. I use both Widescan and concentric 5.75 in the 4 pin coils (Vaquero and Tejon), but concentric only in the 5 pin (Eldorado plastic and Bandido II microMAX).

Though I prefer a concentric, for many of the spots I frequent, I find the 5.75 DD or Widescan, to be a more forgiving coil to use.
The Widescan sweeps a little greater area, and I find it more tollerant of constant soil changes and hot rocks. I often search old campsites where soil changes from two foot deep composted pine needles, to red clay and hot rocks and that can all be just a few feet apart. Downside is, the Widescan throws my discrimination way off, and I find it really tough to disc out bottlecaps without losing zinc pennies (or disc them out at all..), whereas with the concentric, bottlecaps are less trouble.

So, out of curiosity, which Tesoro coil do YOU prefer, and WHY ?

I don't really care for the 5 pin Tesoro widescans. Ive tried three of them and they just don't have a real definitive center like the 4 pin ones. The 12X10 that I had on a Vaquero was a great coil. If I had a 4 pin Tesoro machine I would try the newer larger widescan, read good stuff about it.

I like the widescans better, just what Im used to having hunted minelabs for so long. They just seem to not mask targets as much, easier to get separation.

I hunt public parks with huge amounts of those high tone pop tops that don't disc out using a DD.
For that reason when I wanted a sniper coil for my Vaq a concentric is all I considered.
Now I can disc out about 98% of them, it still gets decently deep and it is sensitive to all targets I hunt for including gold.
I still have the standard concentric for my Vaq, the big DD coil too but most of the time that concentric sniper is the one that is mounted.

When I started detecting back in 87 my first detector (Tesoro Eldorado) came stock with the 8.5" wide-scan. At this time I was stationed in Nevada and was interested in electronic prospecting mainly but also liked coin-shooting and relic hunting. Being a complete "greenhorn" back then I pretty much used the stock 8.5" widescan but later purchased a 4" concentric coil to help with hunting trashy areas. My main reason for sticking with the wide-scan coil back then was to deal with the hotter ground I would sometimes encounter in Nevada and Arizona.

A few years later back in Texas (less mineralized ground) I purchased the Tesoro thin white 8" concentric coil and for the most part never went back to a wide-scan coil...at least here in Texas. These days overall I really prefer the smaller concentric coils for the discrimination abilities and target separation. As with all things...everyone has their own personal preferences and likes to use what they feel gives them an advantage in the field:detecting:

Concentric coils for low mineralization soil like the area I live in.

DD for higher mineralization.

Miser67 said:
Concentric coils for low mineralization soil like the area I live in.

DD for higher mineralization.

That's the way to do it; just be prepared with both coils. For my area, it's the other way 'round. I want the Widescan around where I live, but when I go down the hill (I live @ 6000' altitude), then I go to parks where I can make better use of the concentric. ^_^

Most of my small to medium coils for my Tesoros are concentric...I have a 8" round dd coil, and a 12 x 10 dd coil which I can use at the beach or in wide open spaces....parks etc I use concentric. The amount of rubbish in the ground sometimes dictates which size concentric I use...I do have my favourites though.