Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for those who own both Deus and Orx

Bell-Two

What was the motivation for getting an ORX if you already had the Deus and felt comfortable and competent in using it? Just curious. Thanks.

I am not who you are looking for, but may help some. I had a Deus about 5 years ago and traded it off for a GMP and a TDI. I just was not ready for the Deus and was not happy with the 11 inch coil balance. I got a good deal on a ORX with elliptical HF and the super light weight sounded nice. I liked that it could cover coin and gold with a salt feature. It is working well for me. I found a great deal on a Deus controller and bought it so I would have a backup and access to the features it has the ORX does not. So... I have both but only one coil and shaft. I am looking to get an X35 and shaft to add a deeper LF option.
Hope this helps some.

I went with the ORX over the full Deus due to the simplicity of it. I'm not one for having a machine with a lot of settings and not knowing if I have them set right in order to get Max performance out of a detector. I always am questioning my self if I have it set up properly. The ORX takes that fear away and it's a awesome machine without having to tweak the settings all the time.

I’m a gold prospector and also like to coin, jewelry and relic hunt. I have to use the HF coils. I D normalization for the HF coils is not available on the Deus. It is a feature on the Orx. I liked the two coin programs provided on the Orx. They are the two coin programs that I used the most on my former Deus. I really like the two gold programs on the Orx. I also prefer the big, uncluttered target ID and iron probability bar on the Orx.

Jeff

I was hoping more people would have chimed in on this thread the OP started. To me it seems he may already be using a Deus by how he phrased his questions. I have the ORX and have never even been in the same room with a Deus nor do I know anyone personally who owns one. I was thinking of getting a Deus remote to go along with the ORX coil and shaft.

I know the Deus can be tweaked like crazy and has 10 program settings and several slots to save your custom program.

The ORX has 2 gold modes, 2 coin modes and 2 custom slot modes. You cannot notch the ORX but you can on the Deus. In coin mode on the ORX it has 3 tones that are not adjustable in pitch or break points.

I do not notch nor do I use break points. I already have some units that do that and I never bother. I prefer 3 tones or 2 tone. The ORX has that 2 tone type thing going on in the gold program.

One of the guys aka "vferrari" screen name(Do not know his real name) who helps Andy Sabish in the Deus class has answered a few questions I had on my ORX in another forum. The ORX works with the same processor as the Deus, The ORX and Deus share the same depth when used with the same coil too. The ORX has ID normaliztion with the X35 coils.

The volume is fixed on the ORX external speaker where I think on the Deus is adjustable. The ORX only has adjustable volume with headphones.

The Deus and ORX headphones will not interchange.

The ORX does have an adjustable recovery speed and you can save up to 3 coils on the ORX plus it can connect with the MI6 pin pointer as well and you can adjust the settings internally on the ORX just like the Deus.

The only down side I see coming from an ORX to a Deus is you only use coin fast or Coin deep is that you cannot adjust the coils gain settings or choose anything other than 3 tone.

I find that 3 tone works great because that is just about all I have used the past 20 or so years anyway. I am comfortable with that.

The larger target ID window and iron probability bar that pops up on the ORX is great and pretty spot on. The pinpoint window looks the same as it does on the Deus.

It is not that I do not think I want the Deus at all I think it is a very fine unit from what i have read about and what videos I have watched on youtube. . It is just I would not tweak it like crazy with all of the features it has. You can get a complete ORX with whatever coil option you want cheaper than just the Deus remote all by itself.

I was thinking about buying just a Dues remote but I am thinking of getting a whole other ORX unit with a different coil instead because it would be about 100 bucks cheaper for a complete separate unit ready to go

This is probably worthless information to the original poster who was wondering about the ORX and maybe I am rambling on a bit but maybe just maybe some one will get something out of it......I hope anyway

bigtim1973 said:
I was hoping more people would have chimed in on this thread the OP started. To me it seems he may already be using a Deus by how he phrased his questions. I have the ORX and have never even been in the same room with a Deus nor do I know anyone personally who owns one. I was thinking of getting a Deus remote to go along with the ORX coil and shaft.

I know the Deus can be tweaked like crazy and has 10 program settings and several slots to save your custom program.

The ORX has 2 gold modes, 2 coin modes and 2 custom slot modes. You cannot notch the ORX but you can on the Deus. In coin mode on the ORX it has 3 tones that are not adjustable in pitch or break points.

I do not notch nor do I use break points. I already have some units that do that and I never bother. I prefer 3 tones or 2 tone. The ORX has that 2 tone type thing going on in the gold program.

One of the guys aka "vferrari" screen name(Do not know his real name) who helps Andy Sabish in the Deus class has answered a few questions I had on my ORX in another forum. The ORX works with the same processor as the Deus, The ORX and Deus share the same depth when used with the same coil too. The ORX has ID normaliztion with the X35 coils.

The volume is fixed on the ORX external speaker where I think on the Deus is adjustable. The ORX only has adjustable volume with headphones.

The Deus and ORX headphones will not interchange.

The ORX does have an adjustable recovery speed and you can save up to 3 coils on the ORX plus it can connect with the MI6 pin pointer as well and you can adjust the settings internally on the ORX just like the Deus.

The only down side I see coming from an ORX to a Deus is you only use coin fast or Coin deep is that you cannot adjust the coils gain settings or choose anything other than 3 tone.

I find that 3 tone works great because that is just about all I have used the past 20 or so years anyway. I am comfortable with that.

The larger target ID window and iron probability bar that pops up on the ORX is great and pretty spot on. The pinpoint window looks the same as it does on the Deus.

It is not that I do not think I want the Deus at all I think it is a very fine unit from what i have read about and what videos I have watched on youtube. . It is just I would not tweak it like crazy with all of the features it has. You can get a complete ORX with whatever coil option you want cheaper than just the Deus remote all by itself.

I was thinking about buying just a Dues remote but I am thinking of getting a whole other ORX unit with a different coil instead because it would be about 100 bucks cheaper for a complete separate unit ready to go

This is probably worthless information to the original poster who was wondering about the ORX and maybe I am rambling on a bit but maybe just maybe some one will get something out of it......I hope anyway

I took the liberty of putting the key comments made by 'bigtim1973' in bold because these are most of the things that impress me the most about the ORX I own and enjoy using. A difference between us and our XP Metal Detectors experiences is that I have been around the Deus, but I never owned one. Quite honestly, I never cared to before, and I have absolutely no interest in one today, either. I have a handful of friends [size=small](in this case a 'handful' is comprised of 5 individuals)[/size] who own and use a Deus along with other makes and models from Nokta-Makro, White's, Minelab and ???

Two have been using the Deus for quite a while and consider it their main, or one of their two-main, detectors of choice. I had the opportunity to handle one for a brief time and quickly determined I didn't like it. The main reason was their Audio choice of multi-tone was simply annoying to me. The other reason was that I noticed the array of adjustment functions and how often they were tinkering around with different settings while we were hunting some older sites. I don't like annoying audio, nor do I care for a lot of adjustable features that can cause too much tinkering. Too many adjustments can easily lead to a messed up program because one function can effect one or two other adjustments if it is misadjusted for what is needed for a hunt site. In short, I like 'Simple.'

I enjoy my Single-Tone Tesoro favorites, my 2-Tone and 3-Tone modes on my Nokta CoRe and Relic devices, Fisher F-44 and Teknetics Omega 8000, with the latter two mainly used for some urban Coin Hunting or as a 'loaner-unit.' My 'get serious' detectors for deliberate Relic Hunting tasks, where I am dealing with an 'over-abundance' of nails and other ferrous debris, is assigned to my XP ORX and Nokta Relic and CoRe.

For me and my needs for the bulk of all the site challenges I deal with, I bought my ORX with the 5X8½ HF Double-D coil, and that has been working splendidly for me.
:thumbup: I do not need, therefore want, a larger-size search coil for this model, but I do wish they would R&D up a nice round, 5" or 6" diameter coil for this model, in either Concentric or Double-D design.

In addition to the important key points mentioned above, one of the best features I enjoy about the ORX audio and performance afield is that it has an excellent Modulated Audio.:thumbup: It is perhaps the best Modulated performance I have ever enjoyed with this level of Tone ID and without sacrificing the depth-of-detection this unit can provide.

If XP offered a smaller size, round, 5" or 6" diameter coil [size=small](nothing larger in diameter)[/size], I would then buy a second ORX just to keep it ready-to-go with a different coil that would work for me in the very tight confines in and around dense brush, trash and building rubble. That's how impressed I am with the XP ORX.

Monte

One of my buddies bought the orx to complement his Equinox, the Orx for the surface to 6 inch deep detecting on ploughed fields and working near surface iron etc, the Nox for deeper work on pastures etc.

Bell-Two said:
What was the motivation for getting an ORX if you already had the Deus and felt comfortable and competent in using it? Just curious. Thanks.

Monte wrote

In addition to the important key points mentioned above, one of the best features I enjoy about the ORX audio and performance afield is that it has an excellent Modulated Audio.:thumbup: It is perhaps the best Modulated performance I have ever enjoyed with this level of Tone ID and without sacrificing the depth-of-detection this unit can provide.

Monte it is great to hear that you are enjoying the ORX. I sure like mine for what I use it for. I still don't like it in heavy aluminum trashy parks yet but I'm learning. Unlike you, the audio on the Deus and the ORX was my least favorite thing about them. I am getting used to the duck quacks, squeaks and squawks the more I use the ORX however. Being a professional musician (classical music) they remind me a lot of beginner 2nd and 3rd graders in violin class. It is so lightweight that my bad wrist does not hurt at all after a 4 hour hunt with it. The 2 one tone gold modes are absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

hairymonsterman said:
One of my buddies bought the orx to complement his Equinox, the Orx for the surface to 6 inch deep detecting on ploughed fields and working near surface iron etc, the Nox for deeper work on pastures etc.

Bell-Two said:

I am getting way deeper coins and relics than 6 inches and the numerical ID on deeper targets seems to stay in the same neighborhood and does not vary much. I sold my equinox as soon as I tried the ORX the first time. Also sold my AT Gold and also probably going to sell the Anfibio I have as well. I have never used a machine this good ever.

BigTim-----How would you classify the ground you hunt in as to mineralization (mild, moderate or heavy)?
bigtim1973 said:
hairymonsterman said:

Bell-Two said:

I am getting way deeper coins and relics than 6 inches and the numerical ID on deeper targets seems to stay in the same neighborhood and does not vary much. I sold my equinox as soon as I tried the ORX the first time. Also sold my AT Gold and also probably going to sell the Anfibio I have as well. I have never used a machine this good ever.

I am in mild to moderate. Every now and then I get into a hot little spot and it jumps up a bit. But I know you have a Makro racer and maybe even a Kruzer if I remember correctly. On those units, the ground ID measure is always between 52 to 57 when I perform a ground balance on my Racer and Anfibio. Every now and then I see it jump up into the low 90's when I am out detecting sometimes in the woods and at old house sights. It always is like a small area of about 10 foot in diameter when that happens too. I believe that may be a place where someone was burning trash on a regular basis possibly.

D&P-OR said:
BigTim-----How would you classify the ground you hunt in as to mineralization (mild, moderate or heavy)?
bigtim1973 said:
hairymonsterman said:

Bell-Two said:

Hey Monte I was wondering if you were gonna get one of these little ORX units and wondered what your thoughts may have been on it. Good to see you!!

I did the same thing Tim. I sold the Nox once trying the ORX. I just didn't click with the Nox and it really didn't go as deep as the ORX.

You know. 88junior I wanted to like the nox. I did find my first precision cap with the nox too in 15kh single freq in field 1 mode. But the nox in multi freq would just give way too many false signals in heavy iron from the halo effect. I think the nox is a better coin hunter at an old house site or parks than it is as a relic unit.

I want a machine that can do both coin and relic hunt. I do not live anywhere near a salt water beach and I do not creek hunt either. So my nox has a happy New owner here locally now.

I actually found a used XP deus remote tonight and bought it. So maybe next week I will see about it for the first time. I am looking forward to it very much. But I do not see me selling this ORX any time soon.

I feel like I must at least try one out.

88junior said:
I did the same thing Tim. I sold the Nox once trying the ORX. I just didn't click with the Nox and it really didn't go as deep as the ORX.

Reading about it confirmed that it fit my three topic requirements. And those are to be:

1.. Simple
2.. Functional
3.. Performance-Based

What appealed to me most at first washer the lightweight design, the available 5x9½ HF DD elliptical coil as a standard option, the 3-Tone Coins modes, and I read that it had a good default set-up for the minimum number of modes to start out with that were functional. Not a cluttered up design.

I'm currently working on an ORX evaluation for my website. I have an assortment of useful detectors for me and sites I hunt, and the ORX made a very good choice, for me, because the models I have, especially for iron littered Relic Hunting sites, complement each other quite well.

Monte

My ground reads anywhere from 7 to full bars on the Deus, that's why we use them for the top 6 inches, the multi freqs see through the minerals better than a single freq, and in turn give clearer audio at depth.
At 7 bars a thin dime sized hammered silver is a hard task at 6 inches for a single freq.

D&P-OR said:
bigtim1973 said:
hairymonsterman said:

Bell-Two said:

hairymonsterman said:
My ground reads anywhere from 7 to full bars on the Deus, that's why we use them for the top 6 inches, the multi freqs see through the minerals better than a single freq, and in turn give clearer audio at depth.
At 7 bars a thin dime sized hammered silver is a hard task at 6 inches for a single freq.

D&P-OR said:
bigtim1973 said:
hairymonsterman said:

Bell-Two said:

Where do you live? Your in pretty hot country it sounds like. I live in in Tennessee. I have heard there is some high bad ground on the other sode of Nashville. But fortunately for me where I live I would consider the ground conditions normal and I suppose the ground allows the machine to go penetrate deeper.

Hi bigtim 1973,
I have the same issues as hairymonsterman. My Orx mineralization bar is 2/3rds to completely full most of the time. The ORX with HF elliptical coil combined with coin fast or coin deep make it very good down to about 3" for accurate numerical target ID on coin sized objects and about 6" for audio ID. I had a Deus with 11" LF coil that would not do as well in the same area with similar programs and settings. The HF coil's higher frequencies makes a big difference in bad mineralization. My Nox handles these conditions even better in multi frequency.

Jeff

Have you tried relic or coin huntong with the gold mode where you live??

jmaclen said:
Hi bigtim 1973,
I have the same issues as hairymonsterman. My Orx mineralization bar is 2/3rds to completely full most of the time. The ORX with HF elliptical coil combined with coin fast or coin deep make it very good down to about 3" for accurate numerical target ID on coin sized objects and about 6" for audio ID. I had a Deus with 11" LF coil that would not do as well in the same area with similar programs and settings. The HF coil's higher frequencies makes a big difference in bad mineralization. My Nox handles these conditions even better in multi frequency.

Jeff

A person who hunts iron loaded ghost towns and doesnt have a Deus or ORX , well they are just shooting themselves in the foot and spitting in the wind.... I hunt iron loaded plantation sites here on the east coast and no other detector can compare to the Deus platform in iron......yes the ORX is a simple Deus ….I have both ...I like all the settings I can customize on the Deus. Deus is the best in 3D iron situations made period..... I know a Tesoro with a concentric will pass montes nail test better than a detector with a DD coil but it doesnt show the real picture. A guy on another forum likes to show detectors on his videos using the nail board test but I think it doesnt paint a clear picture of whats going on. What sites always have nails on the same plane as non ferrous???? NOT REALISTIC..... Raise the iron above the non ferrous and tell me what happens.... BTW my ORX is a loaner and for my grandkids.....simple detector with high performance.