Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for those who snorkel with ATX

I reconfigured my atx (back to original set-up) so that I could use it snorkeling. Normally I use a chest mount and a carbon shaft and infinium coil. First thing I noticed was how hard it was to swing the atx around in the water. I had to use one hand on the handle and one hand on the shaft. Is that what you guys are doing?

But my main question is about recovering a target. I had problems keeping the headphones on while diving to fan the target. Have you come up with a method of securing the headphones?

This is my second attempt at snorkeling. First was a complete failure. I had the full coil cover on and my coil would not stay in place with all of that resistance. This time I took the cover off. Way better. I also took the wrong booties on attempt #2. Found out that I cannot use my fins with my hard sole booties, so next time I need my surf booties. I might need a little more weight on my belt too. Right now I have 10 pounds. May need another 5-10. I may also go back to chest mount but that leaves the large handle sticking out towards the bottom while diving.

The real annoying thing about all of this is that I was going to go out with my hardly used seahunter mark 2, but is isn't working. It is beyond the 1 year warranty, but is has seen very little use and it is supposed to be my back up for when I send in my ATX for repair.

The good thing, after the snorkel attempt I hit up a new area that I thought would be junk. One 14k ring and one silver ring. You never know. Sorry, the pic is blurry.

Any tips for snorkeling will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi guys

Saw this thread ;). Yes I guess I spend 90 percent of my detecting time in the water with the ATX.

Few tips

- pretty much always use a snorkel and mask - easier to retrieve the target
- I use the 8 inch mono in the water - less water resistance and easier to swing - you will get used to it!
- headphones, mine are fairly tight but do pop off occasionally. I have a friend that uses a bungee cord with holes drilled in each ear case plastic, then under his chin, seems to work, albeit looks a bit stupid!
- I don't use fins, rather divers hard sole boots
- I use a heavy over weighted weight belt, you need to be careful, but this allows be to "walk" along the bottom. Also recovery is easy, just breathe out and sink!
- quite often I will still take a scoop - the weight belt also helps to get this into the sand easier!

Have not been out much in the last few weeks due to house Reno committments....however went once two days ago = 2 more 18ct gold female rings... Will post!

Thanks dmnz,

I appreciate the tips. I do think I need more weight to sink easier. Also, I just got my seahunter working again. I think that it will be easier to manage while snorkeling. I can handle the atx while wading and using a long handle scoop, but swimming with fins it's a bit much. And yes, I may have to go with that kooky look of strapping on the headphones, but I pretty much look kooky with the atx strapped onto my chest, so I've gotten used to it. Thanks again. If I can get half as good as you I will feel ultra successful as a treasure hunter. You've set the bar way high.

Cheers for that - I have picked up a sea hunter also - really like that machine - especially on a clean sandy beach in the water! It really is a great design - waterproof and super simple!