Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question for those who use IM -16 and Ferrous

detectorguy

In ferrous tones the lower right hand corner where junk falls also gives a tone similar to the upper right corner where coins fall. How do you distinguish between the two while scanning? Seems when every alluminum can piece and pull tab gets scanned it sounds like a good coin - what do you set to make it sound different?

In my opinion that is the down side to using Ferrous tones. It is great for distinguishing between iron and coins but a lot of trash will sound like coins as well. The only way I know to tell the difference is to look at the screen. The difference in sound between a pulltab, penny, dime etc. is pretty easy to hear. However, the difference between a nickel and some pulltabs is hard to seperate, at least for me.

HH

Ferrous and open screen works very well in high iron. I use smart sceen and keep everything open except for bottle caps, which blacks out the lower right corner, as Tony N. mentioned. This keeps you from getting a complete wood everytime you go over a bottle cap.

And yes, now many mid conductivity item can sound like coins. This is a good thing for Nickels, bad for most else. The only way to tell the difference is to look at the screen.

If you are hunting in an area with many many mid range junk targets it might not be the way to go. About the only time I use any discrimination is at parks that are loaded up with pull tabs, then I black out the entire bottom of the screen.

But... for most older sites iron will be your biggest enemy and open screen and ferrous work wonders here. Much of the time it will be worth digging mid range targets if they have any depth to them; all sorts for wonderful things can show up.

Chris