Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for X-terra 50/505 Users

Have been thinking about getting another detector, and maybe an x-terra. My question is with the 9" 7.5 kHz concentric how deep have you dug a coin with your 50/505 in dirt, not sand. I know all about the difference in ground and all, just want to know in your ground with your detector , what is the deepest you have dug a coin. Thanks

8" to 10" with that coil on a dime with my 705.

On fresh water water beacher 8-10" in sand XTERA 705 w/9" COIL AND 6 " DD COIL. 6" coil being better around docks, swings, buildings.

I have a xt505, with the 9" coil i get 8" to 10" when machine is tuned right. In wet soil I have hit 12".

I have a 305 and a 505 and I would say depth is the same on both...at least it is in moderately mineralized soil. 8" is the best I'ver ever done on both detectors using the 9" MF Concentric coil on coins. Have found some larger type items at 10+" with the standard coil (spoons, pots, metal barrel lids, etc.). I also have and use a 6" DD HF coil (sometimes alternating use on both of these detectors) and find that I give up some 1-2" in depth on both models but it is worth sacrificing a little depth to get better target separation in these situations.

When I am in highly mineralized soil (mountains of Colorado) I find my max depth on coins with the 9" MF CC coil to be about 6" and find no loss of depth when I switch to the 6" DD HF coil (probably due to the DD configuration). I have not yet tried a 10.5" MF DD coil in the highly mineralized conditions so can't provide any feedback on how much depth gain it could provide.

Overall, I would say the 505 is an excellent detector and you have the option to use a 9" 3 kHz Concentric (you can't use it on the 305). If the price difference between the 505 and 705 is not an issue...I would just go with the 705 and get all the 'bells & whistles' offered in the X-Terra series. I will probably be upgrading my 305 to a 705 this summer to gain the auto GB, tracking & tracking offset and get the 10.5" DD MF for use in highly mineralized conditions, but I would not be doing this if I were not dealing with highly mineralized soil conditions.

Hope this helps.
HH:detecting:

I want to thank everybody for the information you have given. I have been metal detecting off and on for the last 32 years and have owned many detectors, from beginners to top of the line. In those years I have been detecting the deepest coin I have found was a 1841 half dime at 10 1/2" using a xlt about 8 years ago. All the rest of the coins I have found were in the 4" to 7 1/2" range, and I have found a lot of coins, mostly 1800's and early 1900's. I have since sold my SE Pro and E-trac. They are great machines but I have decided I really didn't need them to find the coins in the areas I hunt. I now have an AT Pro and it is one kick butt machine. I do like the Minelabs so I have a X-terra 705 on the way, should be here this week end. You might wonder why I would sell the e-trac and get a 705, well for the reasons I already stated and lets face it the weight difference. Sure I might leave a few deep coins but I would venture to say not many, Once I take the 705 out in my test garden and become one with it. I also think there are more coins in trashy areas than there are deep coins. When I say deep coins I'm talking 11" to 12". This is all my opinion after detecting for the last 32 years in the area I hunt. The two main things in detecting is learn the detector and HAVE FUN. Thanks again :detecting:

I did the same thing, sold my Etrac and purchased another Xterra 705 after trading my first one on my journey towards the Etrac. The Etrac is very good but considering the weight and slow swing speed, it was too taxing on my arm and shoulder. I did have them both for a short time and did comparison testing in my test garden and hit every target with both machines of depth to 8". The ID's were off some but that was on both machines and that was with actual field conditions too. I usually dig anything above iron not wanting to risk missing some gold jewelry and have found many coins when using the Etrac that were very questionable TID readings. Figured if I'm going to be digging questionable targets why use a heavier, slower, much more expensive machine when the 705 will accomplish that same task quicker and without the weight. I use the 10.5" MF DD coil and modified it to a straight shaft for better balance and feel.