Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for you 705 guys..................

James/Washington

Several years ago, I had an Xterra70. I gave it a good go for about a year but I found that in the extremely trashy parks that I hunt in, I could not distinguish between a smashed can and a quarter and believe me, there are a lot of cans and other like objects in the parks I hunt. I sold the 70 and got me a Fisher F75. There was a lot of difference in these detectors and I really do like the F75. I had an opportunity to trade another detector for an Xterra 705, which I did. I live 65 miles from the coast and every once in a while I like to hunt the wet sand and the 705 can do that much better than the F75. I still like the feel of the Xterra 705 and have been taking it back to the parks, but I still can not tell the junk from the clad. I have tried as hard as I can to try to determine the difference and just can not. I am digging much more trash than I would like to dig. The 705 really locks onto the cans with a solid tid where the F75 will give erratic numbers but lock solid on coins. I am 67 and am disabled with back problems so I would prefer to not dig as much trash and dig more goodies. Now, after all that long winded explanation, do any of you guys that use the 705 have any suggestions as to how to determine what targets may be trash? I know it is a good detector and I would love to be able to use it in the parks. Thanks in advance.

Two things James.
First is the easiest.
Raise the coil as you sweep over a suspected junk target. If you get much more than a foot above the ground and it's still loud, pass it by.

Second takes a little practice, but can be used along with #1.
Audio is proportional on a 705, meaning that the larger or nearer to the coil an object is the louder it will be. If it blows your ears out, chances are that it's huge. If in doubt, go to method #1.

There are other things that you can do, like using Pinpoint Sizing to trace the target to see if it's bigger than a coin, but the simplest ways are as I've described.

That's what I did with my X70. Excellent advice!!

Like Longhair said....sizing is what I use to tell.

MAYBE;

MODE = Coin & Treasure
PATTERN = 2
ACCEPT = 8,10,12 & 28 thru 46 { best guess
REJECT = -8 THRU -2, 2 THRU 6 & 48 on my part}
IRON MASK = Off
SENSITIVITY = 9 (AUTO = Off & MANUAL = On)
NOISE CANCEL = Auto
THRESHOLD = 14 VOLUME = 26 (Speaker)
THRESHOLD = 12 VOLUME = 22 (Headphones)
TONES = 4
PROSPECTOR MODE = Off
GROUND BALANCE = Auto Tracking
TRACKING GB OFFSET = Off
TARGET ID STABILISER = Off
PINPOINT AUTO = On
PINPOINT SIZING = Off

Just my suggestions as I read things. From what I can tell, this seems to be the best "all around" settings for a Trashy - Park (but argumentatively, not the only settings for those whom wish to disagree)

Hope this is helpful, use it as you wish and good hunting. Semper Fi