Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question from a new 3D owner....

A

Anonymous

What would make a newer (1990) nickel ID as a tab in enhanced mode, but give high tone and nickel ID in salt mode? I was playing around in the chip bark at a school near my home trying to learn the 3D. I had just found a few clad under a slide when I got a tab signal. I kicked back the bark and there was a nickel. I switched over to salt, and it ID'd properly, tone and all. It also does this air testing. Interesting!
Thanks,
Mark in NC

Nickel facet was made wider in the enhanced mode to include older nickels, shield, V and Buffalo..
Reg-salt mode is made for mew coins and does not have this facet made wider...Might want to try a shield nickel in enhanced and see it comes in nickel while in regular salt mode it may come in foil or a foil to nickel bounce. Just using the wrong mode hunting where you are..

The enhanced mode extends the nickel range to include some foil items. Every V nickel I have found so far IDed as nickel in enhanced and foil in Salt. So when hunting in those bark chips for new stuff, use Salt mode. Beavertails will also drive you nuts as they ID this way lots of the time also.
I have collected a lot of posts on using the 3D into a Word document. If you're interested in getting it, email me: rdcottrill at netzero. net
I wrote that out to avoid spam. Whenever I post my email address, I get a bunch of junk.
Dave

This is the first CZ I've owned and I'm impressed with it all the way. WVAdirtdigger, I'll be emailing you for those collected tips! Thanks again...
Mark in NC

Mark,I have had the 3d since March and have used it exclusively this past year. When you are hunting in enhanced and get a shallow nickle reading, switch from enhanced to salt and recheck. If it is a nickle, it will stay a nickle. It seems that shallow pulltabs will nickle id in enhanced mode. I check every nickle signal in this manner. It is almost foolproof. By the way, the 3d is a better trashy site detector than people say. It is not made exclusively for old sites. I have dug more shield and V nickles this year than in the previous 8 years combined. Best detector I ever owned. R.L.

everything I've read though, indicates it will be just what I'm looking for to shoot old churches and schools. With limited time, cherry pickin' is mighty appealing too.
Mark in NC

Wish they had a momentary push switch to switch between the modes.

Might interest you to know Dan.While on the subject of nickels,that is.I remember finding several older(Buff's,Shields,etc)nickels that were green.The halo resulting from the oxidation caused the nickels to read much higher on my xlt and DFX.They would come in as high as 70 on the meter.Which would be where a zinc cent falls.There are so many variables,like oxidation,iron or other trash lying next to the coin, or a coin lying on edge.That relying on a meter on any detector will cause you to miss a lot.If i'm in an old area,I dig anything deep that reads positive and use the meter for sorting out the surface trash,like pull tabs.Dave

could have been something else under the nickel that caused it to read lower.

R.L., Have you owned a CZ70Pro or DFX? Sure would like to see a comparison with that machine. Thanks, Flyguy

It doesn't happen for every new nickel when in enhanced mode but it can happen for some of them. I believe that Tom D. talks about that in some of the Fisher Intellegence documentation. A good read if you haven't already read it.