Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question of Money? On MD's

Beale

I am pondering getting a Safari, I know ---Boo, Hiss--!! Any how this is a big $$ MD. For the price of it I could Get the Outlaw and a Golden!! Am I nuts? I like simple and easy. Why get complicated? Opinions Please, Beale.

I really think that this is a question that only you can answer.

I always like to think simple and ask myself;

"What is it that I am most trying to find?" and then;

"Is my current detector accomplishing this?".

The lure of new detector's is strong and ever present. Sometimes the idea of a new machine keeps us interested and motivated but then I refer to my questions above.

If you have never used a TID machine before (and a whole new learning curve) then you could justify such a purchase to see if it is for you. If it isn't then at least you will know and that itch won't come back (hopefully....:blink:).

I'm sure someone will give you a more clinical answer so I shall leave that for them.

Good luck,
Tony.

PS I'm not sure what detectors you currently use?

Beale,
If I can answer any questions for you or help you with deciding on the detector you want for what your going to be hunting then feel free to give me a call.

I use a Vaquero with the standard 9" coil and a 10X12 DD which works well to cover a lot of ground confidently at large park areas that I tend to hunt, a Compadre which is my jewelry sniffer and tot-lot hunter with the 7" coil so it is also a pretty good all-around, an F2 that I use at most of my new sites to get the lay of the land and a little more info about trash and something a little different because of that screen, a sniper coil for the F2 which I am kicking myself for not using earlier because I am going over some old sites and it is finding so much more that I missed, and I even have a Compass TR unit just in case I ever come across an iron-laden site that would be very difficult for most modern detectors.
On top of that, I am itching for a top end unit that I will purchase one day with a screen and all the bells and whistles like a V3i just because I love the idea of a long learning curve and the fun of learning about it's abilities and what it can do.

I own all of these because I think different sites sometimes call for different tools to hunt at optimum levels, and I just hate being bored so the ability to switch between these different units keeps that at bay.

To each his own, I say, and some people are very happy using one detector, others like myself have way more fun when you have more choices.

I will say that if I had nothing else, I would opt for the Outlaw and the Golden because that combination would cover most of my needs with the abilities and choice of coils that the Outlaw has, and the superior coin and jewelry hunting ability the Golden has proven to possess.
I am, after all, a jewelry hunter most of all.
I would also have a Compadre in the arsenal no matter what else I swing just because of it's price and what it can do like no others.

Beale,
If you are hunting deep coins it is kind of hard to top the Minelab FBS units. I've eyed the Safari some time myself, but I hardly ever hunt coins so I usually talk myself out of most of the deals.

But with everyone dumping their stables for the new $2K units I'd probably jump if I see a SE Pro at the right price.

Good luck on your choice.

HH
Mike

It's has a 4.9 stars on the review, so you only live once, I say go for it! Hank

Quote from your post.......... [size=large]" I like simple and easy. Why get complicated " ?[/size]

Perhaps you answered your own question.

I have used only the DeLeon for 10 yrs now I even worked where they sold :minelab: and could have got one dirt cheap 10% over cost and yes it was tempting but but I couldn't get past the warranty issue and I don't think I could hang up my DeLeon. but in the end it is up to you many that have gone to the darkside come back LOL

Elton said:
Quote from your post.......... [size=large]" I like simple and easy. Why get complicated " ?[/size]

Perhaps you answered your own question.
:thumbup::thumbup:
He's just like me. I want the Golden so-o-o bad, then I get out in the field with my Compadre and other detectors and reality hits.:thumbup::thumbup:

If you are primarily after old deep silver coins, you should give the Safari serious consideration.

And I am a Tesoro user and have been since I entered this hobby.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with owning a hi dollar, sophisticated detector. Weather it is for personal reasons (want) or for special needs in the field.
But here is what you need to decide. Will I see a significant amount of return, target wise, for the expenditure?
If you are just a hobbyist, and only work locally after work and on week ends, It is probably going to be an expense that you will never recover.
Then there is the fact that there is a long learning curve. Generally a minimum of 100 hours in the field. Often times more to really learn it.
How long will that take you to accomplish. Are you willing to take the time to master it.
To really wring out a sophisticated detector, and get the most out of it, you have to learn it inside and out. That takes a lot of time and work.
In order to justify this kind of commitment, It will need to be your primary detector.
Only you can decide this.
If you are the type of person to just grab a detector and run out for a couple of hours and have fun finding neat stuff, Tesoro offers many great detectors, at reasonable prices that will fit your needs.

Glad to see a dealer posting here again!!!!!

HH
Mike

Beale,

There is one person on here that would know for sure that posts on here, and that would be Mike5853, he just got a Safari. I would give him a couple of weeks to try it out first.

I had an Exporer ll for a year, tried all the settings, just could'nt handle the 'music', it was deeeep on coins though, just not my cup of tea. Good luck on your decission.

Beale said:
I am pondering getting a Safari, I know ---Boo, Hiss--!! Any how this is a big $$ MD. For the price of it I could Get the Outlaw and a Golden!! Am I nuts? I like simple and easy. Why get complicated? Opinions Please, Beale.

It seems to me that you answered your own question in the last two sentences. On the other hand, it's always fun to play with a new to you detector.
BB

Hi Beale,
About 8 years ago I bought an Exploerer II (pre- runner to the current FBS series). It was a great machine, but I found I was still finding more with my Eldorado (U Max)...not because the Eldorado was better, but merely because I was able to use the Eldorado more...it being about half the weight of the Explorer. In the end, I had to get rid of the Explorer II because I found I was deliberately leaving it at home...again, not because it was not a good machine, but because my arm and shoulder would start hurting after 20 to 30minutes. Whether or not you get the Safari is entirely your choice, but some of the questions you could ask yourself are: Do you need FBS where you hunt, ie. will it give you an advantage over single frequency detectors?; How deep do you want, or are you allowed to dig where you hunt; How strong and powerful are you, particularly your back, arms and shoulders (and do you have any injuries in any of those areas; Are you changing on a whim, if so, can you borrow or hire a Safari for a month or two to see if you like it?

Sometimes I think that it would have been good if I had been able to hang on to my Explorer II, but when I recall the reality of the situation, I'm very glad I stayed with lighter detectors.

A new detector is a very personal purchase, and I think most of us can relate to the feeling of wanting to try a "new one". Good luck with your decision, whatever it might be. Pete

Thanks for all the replies guys! Right now the Safari is out. I will let you know what I get! Beale.