Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on Cortes, surface targets not detected?

Old California

Recently, Purchased a nice Cortes. Operates great but I've noticed it'll not detect surface targets especially low conductive, coil completely passes over target with broken or no beep.

Tried three different size coils, same broken target response with all three coils. Notch is off, As if a blanking circuit was in place to avoid surface targets?

However, If target is buried a certain depth it'll detect the Target with ease. I like the Cortes, but I'm afraid I'll miss fresh drops both gold jewelry and coins.

Does any one have the same issue? Or are there settings I can change to correct this. Manually ground balance is good, just surface targets are missed. I don't want to scan the ground 2"-3" inches ground to detect surface targets, must be a simple solution.

Appreciate help, Thanks!
Paul

Hello Paul.

Seems the Cortes is off calibration.
I know the pot how to adjust this on the IDX but have
no guess how to do this on a Cortes.

May be Skywhiz knows some thing or some one
on the GTF...

Good Luck on this.

Thanks John,

I'll call this morning, and send it in.

Thanks again,
Paul

Hello Vito,

Looks like I'll send it in to Tesoro, will call them today and send it in.

Appreciate the help,
Paul

vito said:
Hello Paul.

Seems the Cortes is off calibration.
I know the pot how to adjust this on the IDX but have
no guess how to do this on a Cortes.

May be Skywhiz knows some thing or some one
on the GTF...

Good Luck on this.
Sorry but I have no idea how to adjust anything on a Cortes. Sending it in to the factory was the right thing to do. They will fix you right up.

Paul, the DeLeon & Cortes are very similar machines. I've had my D for around 8 months. One thing that I have learned about my D, concerning finds on the surface or very near the surface is this:
Coil needs to be swung 1 to 3" above the surface.
DeLeon performs best at low sensitivity, from 4-7. I turn the sensitivity up to identify the faint tones, as I go.u
8 months doesn't make me an expert, but that's my take on the subject.

Thank you for this information, Appears this may be normal for low conductive surface target's to do this with some Cortes or Deleon?

I spoke with Tesoro yesterday, I can send it in with the coil I plan on using, was thinking of sending in the Mojave 7" coil.

But what I caught from the Tesoro tech, was the Cortes may have been designed to do this? He didn't say it directly but reading between the lines that was my impression. So, I feel it'll come back with the same surface response. However, At least I'll know the coil is calibrated with the Cortes.

Appreciate you sharing with me your experiences with the DeLeon, I used to have one but can't remember if it had the same surface response. It probably did, but at the time was after deep targets didn't care too much for low conductuve surface signals.

I'll still send in the Cortes, Thank you again for sharing.

Paul

Paul, you are welcome. In the grand scheme of md, I don't know much. But I feel I do know my DeLeon, with much more to learn.

I can't say that locating surface finds was ever a real problem. I read early on, from long term users, to keep the coil a couple of inches off the surface.

I have experienced more problems with this subject with my Red Racer, another wonderful machine. But I solved this by turning the sensitivity up higher than I normally hunt, and again, raise the coil off the ground, as much as 3 inches.

I'm hoping that when you get your Cortes back from Tesoro, especially with your favorite coil, you will experience nothing bit pure unadulterated joy.